Weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never known such a cold April, T currently 8C at 1300. The OSR has been in bloom for four weeks and is now going over. Very little nectar coming in - not surprising as no days have reached 20C, said to be the temperature needed for OSR to yield. The spring honey crop in these parts is usually twice the July yield, but that's unlikely this year.:(
Same. Was really hoping for a decent amount of OSR this year as there is so much near my hives. What a shame.

Cotoneaster flowering and buzzing this afternoon, also forget me nots being worked this afternoon.
Question?? does forget me nots only get foraged on in the afternoon?
What I’m seeing and from previous observations it’s an afternoon flower.

I've never known such a cold April, T currently 8C at 1300. The OSR has been in bloom for four weeks and is now going over. Very little nectar coming in - not surprising as no days have reached 20C, said to be the temperature needed for OSR to yield. The spring honey crop in these parts is usually twice the July yield, but that's unlikely this year.:(
Have you got much around you that usually flowers in May? Could be a great May?

Cotoneaster flowering and buzzing this afternoon, also forget me nots being worked this afternoon.
Question?? does forget me nots only get foraged on in the afternoon?
What I’m seeing and from previous observations it’s an afternoon flower.
Goodness ... that cotoneaster is early, mine is not even in bud yet - normally flowers in the second half of May here. My lilac tree is in full flower and already starting to go over - and that is early this year.

Goodness ... that cotoneaster is early, mine is not even in bud yet - normally flowers in the second half of May here. My lilac tree is in full flower and already starting to go over - and that is early this year.
A lot of flora flowering early in the suburbs/town Philip, hawthorn is well out in bloom weeks earlier in comparison to the apiarys in the country.

Ours against the south facing wall at home is out and has been investigated by bumbles for a week or so. The others are a little behind.
I’m in Ludlow at the moment. A fair bit of hawthorn out but we are surrounded by OSR.

A lot of flora flowering early in the suburbs/town Philip, hawthorn is well out in bloom weeks earlier in comparison to the apiarys in the country.

Ours against the south facing wall at home is out and has been investigated by bumbles for a week or so. The others are a little behind.
I’m in Ludlow at the moment. A fair bit of hawthorn out but we are surrounded by OSR.
It just goes to show how much variation there is from area to area - and the effect local influences have on plants in their vicinity. Some Hawthorn is out down here as are the horse chestnuts, sycamore not there yet but it's cold withg drizzle this afternoon - not much bee activity.

I've really had enough now. Just been outside to move the car. In the oh-so-sunny south-west, it's dull, drizzling and according to the car, 5°C.

James
Same here James. There’s a brief period from 2:00 to half 3:00 when temps could reach 11C and I need to check colonies for stores and more than likely feed them.

The sun through the cloud raised the temperature to 12C so all colonies checked and ALL needed food. There was no sign of stores in any brood box.
As for the forecast……we’ll the BBC reckons the trend will continue with slightly higher temperatures through to at least the 10th May.
A3F5A724-651B-496F-A8A5-88186C4722E2.jpeg

Depressing. But the BBC are not to be trusted in any capacity!!!

Latest posts

Back