Weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Weather here in South Lincolnshire has also been a washout in July, Not a spot of rain from around beginning of April to end of June.

Then the annoying thing is we are getting heavy showers every day throughout July so can not get outside to anything with the bees or the garden.

Today is a windy day, Tomorrow (Monday) looks to be a dry day all day currently so may just check the 3 frame mating nucs that had virgins added to a few weeks ago, hoping they found some dry spells to mate.

A few days ago we had 12 hours of continuous light rain which was most welcome but we haven't been blessed with any of the promised thunderstorms. We've had well-below average rainfall all spring and summer so using a hose on the allotment++:(. The water level in our well is rock bottom.
What a shame we can't pump water from the wet west to the dry east!

Here in West Sx only the last 6 or 7 days have been that unsettled that one has to be careful in selecting inspection windows.
I was all set to inspect the garden colony only to get ready then 3 - 4 hours of on /off showers on Friday , eventually around 3p.m. managed a look and cleared another super on to a separate stand adjacent to the entrance before the next rain appeared.

When it isn't raining they are out foraging quite well still, having cleared three supers I plonked two more on ten days ago and they have started to fill with nectar again, waiting for four other supers to be fully capped and ready which are nearly getting there.

The West Sussex coast has seen very little of the promised rain. The Isle of Wight often acts as a sort of buffer and the rain goes round it and up north. It’s been windy but mostly dry so the girls are still whizzing out at every opportunity. I’m hoping this brings the usual late crop through the back end of July to about mid August.

The West Sussex coast has seen very little of the promised rain. The Isle of Wight often acts as a sort of buffer and the rain goes round it and up north. It’s been windy but mostly dry so the girls are still whizzing out at every opportunity. I’m hoping this brings the usual late crop through the back end of July to about mid August.
Much the same here on the Costa del Fareham ... but we've had a few days of rain but nothing like the torrential stuff they got a bit further North.

We‘ve had lots of rain here this last two weeks after a very long period with none at all. Out dog walking this morning I’ve noticed the river has hardly risen above its very low drought induced level, so the ground has absorbed the rain. That’s good news as there’s still a lot of bramble in bud and it could now start to yield a nectar flow. There’s an abundance of thistle and knapweed in flower at the moment, so I’m hoping the dry, good foraging days forecast for this week actually materialise!
(If they don’t, I warn you now, I might become officially miffed).

July a washout here in NYorks. Torrential over last week. Inspections between storms as quite warm.44lbs of spring honey from 1 hive +1 split taken 30/6.
Hive + split both have 2 supers on slowly filling and 1 caught swarm with 1 super not really filling at all. Due to go on hols for 2 weeks so may have to remove individual capped frames and replace with empties if weather improves and flow starts

The heat wave from the Southern Europe has reached us yesterday. Although it's not so intense, only 30-33°C in shadow, this is usual for this time. In June we've had enough rains mainly at night, so the conditions are perfect for the main nectar flow.
Unfortunately have the problem with pesticides. Found out piles of dead bees under the hives. Obviously some idiots worked with chemicals in the fields during the daytime. Of course, to punish them legally is impossible. I had this experience in 2020, now it seems the impact is harder. The colonies are at their top point. Tomorrow want to inspect some strongest for more pricise results. If bees' falling is stopped the colonies can recover quickly and it will be some hope.

I set off to inspect my colonies four times today. The first three times I abandoned as heavy rain started as I neared the apiary. On the fourth attempt I worked quickly and completed the task just before the next wave of rain came over. Thankfully my apiary is only a few hundred yards from the house. It appears I've got a drone layer in one hive which I'll deal with on the next dry (ish) day.

We actually had nearly a whole day of sunshine yesterday
Weather man Derek, on Welsh news, says little change in this unsettled weather till at least Mid August :(

I have to smile, temps up here are mostly still below 20 degrees, some warmer stable weather would be appreciated of course.
My cousin in London says the cool weather there is more comfortable for her. 30 degrees is already hard when you're outside. Today is cooler, 24 in the morning, 28 in the afternoon. The heat wave is moving to the south east. In the couple of days will be the new one.
I'm sure the bees will cope - it's only us that wring our hands over it.
They cope, but seems 33 and more reduce their desire to work in fields. A few hours of flying in the morning and then a lot of bees are involved in ventilation.

I'm sure the bees will cope - it's only us that wring our hands over it.
They will, but like most animals, as well as humans, a native bee population will be accustomed to the normal climatic conditions in which they live. The unusually high temperatures current in some European countries must affect the behaviour of the bees and I wonder how beekeepers there respond to the particular exceptional conditions their bees are experencing.

Back