Weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My greenhouse water barrel (210 liters) was empty two weeks ago. It is now overflowing despite losing 20 liters a day for greenhouse watering.
Maximum temperatures daily 18C. Overnight as low as 8C.
Inspected a few nucs: in between torrential rain..and thunder.
No point in cleaning our yard: water running down adjacent road floods into yard bring a layer of debris daily..

(I suspect my last two queens are not going to be mated properly: someone told me raising Qs in the UK was easy : they lied.
)

I've noticed a cluster of bees on the landing board most days and late evenings even in the p£££#ng rain, when they're not flying. I think they're making room for airflow through the hive to reduce the water content of the nectar.
Think I'll put some matchsticks under the roof....... Only joking 😂
The afternoons have generally been drier and brighter so they've been going mad with orientation flights and getting out to forage.

I've noticed a cluster of bees on the landing board most days and late evenings even in the p£££#ng rain, when they're not flying. I think they're making room for airflow through the hive to reduce the water content of the nectar.
Think I'll put some matchsticks under the roof....... Only joking 😂
The afternoons have generally been drier and brighter so they've been going mad with orientation flights and getting out to forage.
They sometimes get hypothermia doing that, which is a bit ironic.

We're really exceptionally mild for mid-winter here. Record overnight July minimum and up to 19 during the day. I'm told that the world reached it's highest ever recorded global average temperature a week or two back.
Importantly, how's the rain forecast looking for Manchester?

Well it is HOT here in Cyprus, all we can do is supply clean water sources near the bees.

Attachments

• IMG-10a15936fbea0a2fc12dd62c84c48356-V.jpg
    IMG-10a15936fbea0a2fc12dd62c84c48356-V.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 0
According to the BBC weather guessers, there’s rain forecast up to, and including May 5th. Tomorrow is the only exception.
So miserable!
I had a quick look in my hives a few weeks ago to organise ahead of spring expansion and have not been able to go in since. One hive bouncing,other had no brood but 3 QC,so a bit worried.Might have to bite the bullet whatever the weather

I had a quick look in my hives a few weeks ago to organise ahead of spring expansion and have not been able to go in since. One hive bouncing,other had no brood but 3 QC,so a bit worried.Might have to bite the bullet whatever the weather
Yes, I’ve looked at mine in short sunny intervals despite really cold winds and it was ok. Go for it!

I have got used to quick - and I mean really quick - inspections in 10 to 12C if it is not windy or raining..
Even finding and marking Qs superceded in last autumn..last one found Saturday..
Strangely enough the books think that I should wait for 15C... bull excrement...unlikely to see that in the next week per forecasts

Been very frustrating today. The forecast was for heavy rain all day. The sky looks like that's quite possible. There have only been occasional light showers however, which obviously could be the start of something bigger when they happen.

I have loads of things that need doing outdoors, but it's such a faff trying to set things up so that I can get everything that needs to be out of the rain actually out of the rain if it does start. I've therefore ended up doing small non-urgent jobs rather than big more important ones, ducking into the workshop when there is a sudden shower. :mad:

James

Been very frustrating today. The forecast was for heavy rain all day. The sky looks like that's quite possible. There have only been occasional light showers however, which obviously could be the start of something bigger when they happen.

I have loads of things that need doing outdoors, but it's such a faff trying to set things up so that I can get everything that needs to be out of the rain actually out of the rain if it does start. I've therefore ended up doing small non-urgent jobs rather than big more important ones, ducking into the workshop when there is a sudden shower. :mad:

James

Invest in one of these and get into the great outdoors in all weather.
https://www.webury.com/products/driza-bone-rider-long-wax-stockman-coat

just an expensive pacamac, no better or worse than a Barbour, trouble is with all these is, they may stop the rain getting in but you get soaked with sweat as it doesn't let anything out either. Same as the majority of expensive yachtsmen's foul weather gear - either way, you get both cold and wet.
With any waxed jacket, once it gets any serious rain it gets very stiff and heavy - before now, during lunch after a long, cold and wet morning's shooting, we don't need pegs for the coats, they just stand up on their own in the wetroom

James
Gotta make a rugged outdoorsman out of you somehow.

Latest posts

Back