Weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I just want to share my misery with someone!

Another day of gloom and low temperatures dawned - so I checked the forecast for our valley and discovered that I can look forward to another week of grey sky, rain and max temperatures of 9 degrees - add a cold wind to that and lose another few degrees. Long term forecast offers no hope of change.

As for inspecting the hives when the flowering currant is in bloom - well I've just checked and the buds are just beginning to show green - oh and the rain has started again.

My poor bees!

Don't worry, they will make up for it later! It's like planting flowers, it doesn't matter when you plant them they will all flower at the same time!
E

Our season is looking a bit late too. But I'm seeing more positives than negatives. Last time it was like this (2013) the spring and summer forage overlapped nicely and swarming urge was low. We got a good harvest without totally busting a gut at swarm time.

Our season is looking a bit late too. But I'm seeing more positives than negatives. Last time it was like this (2013) the spring and summer forage overlapped nicely and swarming urge was low. We got a good harvest without totally busting a gut at swarm time.

Oh thank you! I need that sort of positivity - it's been such a long wet dark winter.

I think we all feel the same. I haven't even had the distraction of frame making as I didn't get to use the ones from last year. The weather was too poor all summer. However....apparently good weather will becoming in a week or two. Then we will be rushing around!

Well had a window of warm sunshine... whipped insulation off and had a look thru glass cb and I spotted Queenie with a clear green spot....delighted

10 day forecast for my neck of the woods is rain & coolish temps. Very frustrating.

Normally I like to look at Accuweather to cheer me up. It's notoriously optimistic but almost invariably wrong. It's forecasting temperatures under 10 till May 2nd when it leaps to 12.

First hive inspection, second week of May. Within a couple of weeks it rained and carried on into Autumn.
They measure temps in a sheltered environment, the chill is still present in the air and any wind is biting.
Another comparison, Easter 1982 ... sunburnt!

Nice in the sun but the wind has a bit of bite in it here in Suffolk. Loads of OSR flowering near me and one hive has filled up a fondant container with comb in a day. Loads of drones in the hive too.

Nice in the sun but the wind has a bit of bite in it here in Suffolk. Loads of OSR flowering near me and one hive has filled up a fondant container with comb in a day. Loads of drones in the hive too.

Very similar here. Lovely and warm in the sun behind a building, slightly more Wizard of Oz round the corner. Been and seems to be staying very changeable at the moment.

Not noted anything of particular significance in flower as yet except cherry blossom and crocus a couple of weeks ago. It seems in this area the main source of nectar and pollen is definitely the abundance of HB later on in the year.

As my bees have yet to move to me I cannot report signs of activity but I have switched back to my Karrimor coat as the rain is so unpredictable currently....

My hive is in Northumberland also, its been the usual cold and rain with the odd short spell of sun, the bees must have made some gortex coats though as they are still piling the pollen in, maybe its because its on the doorstep and they don't have far to fly.

Real bees have hair on their chests.

You are all a bunch of soft whingeing wuss:paparazzi:es

I'm going out to heft my hives.....just in case.

Back