Weald Place Farm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stiffy, you said:

if at all possible I don’t have to resort to purchasing from scammers and crooks!

I most certainly don't think that applies to MB, so why should you be thinking twice before ordering (from them)? If you are even subliminally suggesting that company is at all even a little bit of either scammers or crooks, I for one, think you are wrong.

This is the second or third time you have made this, err, suggestion and I don't really think you should be.

I am in no way writing this to support any other poster on this thread and I do note you referred to MB as 'a reputable company'. It is just an unfortunate situation to even implicate a reputable company where WFP is concerned. They, MB, would have little choice in the matter if the correct funding is all in order, or they would be seen as discriminating against a customer without good reason. Further, a third party could be a middle-man in this deal, so MB may not be supplying direct to WFP.

Think about it. All the stock sold by WFP was derived from someone from somewhere, directly or indirectly, even the Paines poly nucs.

RAB

I was bored and as I am unemployed today, so I re read this thread.

whilst it started as a do you or dont you about Weald place farm its gone to a more moral standards ideal.

so heres my two peneth,

I think personaly weald was set up as an honest idea and it just went wrong, big style. Now he's after a second go, for fair play, maybe this time he will make it work better.
I know he had 150 nucs booked to go the spring show but I told him they were not allowed to bring them onto site, so the lorry was turned around on the way up, all of those hives were sold ready for collecting that day, so may be he was good intentioned rather than a rob dog from the start jusy a poor business manager.

and as for morales, yes i have them when i can afford them!

when we go shopping we do look at where our food comes from and its miles, we prefere not to buy certain products because of it, we mainly look for the "made in the uk" bit rather than prices. but seeing that I am ub40 at the moment to make the money go further we do buy the far eastern food rather than the blighty goods,

and as for me personaly, I worked out years ago that i would do any thing for a price and yes i sleep well at night

:iagree:

But not quite anything!

Don't know if it's true but I have heard that William is attempting to supply previously unmet orders as he is able to.

It does this forum no favours to have so much scorn and poison in a single, purposeful thread, particularly when that cesspool is now being widened to include the innocent.

Stiffy, you said:

They, MB, would have little choice in the matter if the correct funding is all in order, or they would be seen as discriminating against a customer without good reason.

RAB

I'm interested in the legal authority for this. As far as I know a business can deal with whom it chooses. 'Invitation to treat' and all that. Especially so in trade to trade transactions.

Stiffy, you said:

if at all possible I don’t have to resort to purchasing from scammers and crooks!

I most certainly don't think that applies to MB, so why should you be thinking twice before ordering (from them)? If you are even subliminally suggesting that company is at all even a little bit of either scammers or crooks, I for one, think you are wrong.

This is the second or third time you have made this, err, suggestion and I don't really think you should be.

I am in no way writing this to support any other poster on this thread and I do note you referred to MB as 'a reputable company'. It is just an unfortunate situation to even implicate a reputable company where WFP is concerned. They, MB, would have little choice in the matter if the correct funding is all in order, or they would be seen as discriminating against a customer without good reason. Further, a third party could be a middle-man in this deal, so MB may not be supplying direct to WFP.

Think about it. All the stock sold by WFP was derived from someone from somewhere, directly or indirectly, even the Paines poly nucs.

RAB

Rab, I order from some companies knowing I would get a reasonable service and do so knowing I am reasonably safe, there are some I think twice about ordering from but may still bite the bullet and do so if they have a particular product I want.
From WFP webpage
“We originally plane to launch our own design of hive but finances have not alwoed so we have teemed up with the lovley people at Modern Beekeeping to supplie hives to you our valued costomers”
I have had my own problems with WPF, which are now thankfully sorted but don’t think I have ever suggested that there was a problem with MB? Indeed as I have often said, I have been pleased with purchases from MB but do have concerns when a company appears to join force with another who judging by the complaints has done bee keeping a huge disfavour.
I obviously understand that it is not possible to always have exclusive rights on a product but think it a shame that MB is now being associated with WFP. I certainly don’t think MB are doing themselves any favours by allowing themselves to be 'friends' on face book or being used for advertising on WFP web site etc and must realise that people are judged by association, rightly or wrongly?
S
PS The 'scammers and crooks' may be unfortunate on my part and I apologise if any offence was made or inferred. In my defence I was cross at the illiterate and personal remarks made to myself.

Last edited:
Do you, after all the posts on this forum re WPF, really take much/any notice of what he might, or might not say, on a webpage?

I certainly do not, and I would hope that most on the forum would not.

If ever his track record improves by about a 1000%, or more I doubt I would. Even ten times better than zilch is still zilch, remember.

so why should you be thinking twice before ordering (from them)?

You have not really answered my question above.

Saying :there are some I think twice about ordering from but may still bite the bullet

is tantamount to saying your purchase would not be as safe from MB, as those suppliers you do not 'think twice' about.

That, I feel is a totally unfair assessment of the situation while trading with MB. Although I may feel MB has lost a little impetus since John sold the company (new website details per eg), I have found them to be totally reliable, extremely prompt with service and I would not even consider it any risk in making a purchase from them. I would go so far as to say their good name should not even be mentioned in the same thread as WPF.

I think the mention of others on a website such as that of WPF is unfortunate in itself. Seems like 'clutching at straws' to me.

Do you, after all the posts on this forum re WPF, really take much/any notice of what he might, or might not say, on a webpage?

I certainly do not, and I would hope that most on the forum would not.

If ever his track record improves by about a 1000%, or more I doubt I would. Even ten times better than zilch is still zilch, remember.

so why should you be thinking twice before ordering (from them)?

You have not really answered my question above.

Saying :there are some I think twice about ordering from but may still bite the bullet

is tantamount to saying your purchase would not be as safe from MB, as those suppliers you do not 'think twice' about.

That, I feel is a totally unfair assessment of the situation while trading with MB. Although I may feel MB has lost a little impetus since John sold the company (new website details per eg), I have found them to be totally reliable, extremely prompt with service and I would not even consider it any risk in making a purchase from them. I would go so far as to say their good name should not even be mentioned in the same thread as WPF.

I think the mention of others on a website such as that of WPF is unfortunate in itself. Seems like 'clutching at straws' to me.

Rab
I am glad your purchases have all gone through smoothly but as I said when I make a purchase I look at companies and see what their ethics and my past sales experineces are like. Rather than keep on about MB let us say that a company that has a past record which has been very good, decides to get into bed with a company which has a murky history then it is only natural to have concerns, hence I would think twice about purchasing. That is not to say that I wouldn’t purchase from them but it has to be a consideration.
Out of interest, our largest bee keeping company called me today about an order I had placed saying they were out of stock of a product but would if I agreed substitute for a product of equal value and use. I trust this company and had no problem saying please carry on. If the said company decided that they were about to endorse their products through a scrap yards website down the road whom I know sells shoddy goods would I have the same trust, not likely and I would think twice about dealing with them again.
S

I think personaly weald was set up as an honest idea and it just went wrong, big style.
For what it's worth I agree. The evidence appears to be that the company was operating beyond the competence of the owner(s) and was found out by circumstance. It doesn't make them bad, but it would make any established business think twice about taking them on as an agent.

Curious relationship with Modern Beekeeping then. The price of the hive parts they sell are identical but the shipping cost is differently structured. The images on the website are the same but stretched to a square as if nobody noticed the original format. Actually there's more under the surface; MB serve their images as jpegs from a CMS, WPF have static bitmaps as if they have image captured from MB pages using very basic Windows native tools. The quote about "teemed up with the lovley people at Modern Beekeeping" (sic) is another area that MB may object to if they had any say in being "teemed up".

I'd guess WPF have very little actual relationship with MB, and I do have to stress this is a guess based on no more than previous observation of businesses in trouble. WPF may have no more than a few pallets of MB kit they obtained wholesale and are selling on. Not a lot MB can do about that but they would have a dilemma. If MB made a fuss it would just draw attention to the link while if they keep quiet WPF will either run out of stock or stop trading and MB can hope to recover any customers and make follow up sales.

Stiffy

I've had a fair amount of dealings with a wide sphere of people.

You say:

"I have had my own problems with WPF, which are now thankfully sorted "

Yet, despite WPF having obviously resolved your problem to your satisfaction, you're still bitching about them and of course, as is your ilk, taking the 'high road'.

When dealing with people, certain signs, such as,

"I am a man of my word"

or

"I'll put a cheque in the post" etc;

never fail to sound the alarm bells and make me demand cash or a contract to be signed.

Other concomitants of the above are variable, for instance

"Indignant from the UK".

As sure as a meerkat listening for danger my head has come up!

With this in mind.

You slate a man who has resolved a problem you had.

AND

you now cast unfounded aspersions on another.

You also mention YOUR supplier.

What are you trying to do, slate other businesses to put people off from buying from them to improve your favoured or vested interest??

It is to be hoped you don't deal with any company who deliberately puts up high prices so that they can have regular "Sales" to fool an unsuspecting public that bargains are to be had.

No, not you; surely?

Let's make this clear. It is wpf suggesting they are in bed with MB. NOT the converse.

There are always two sides to a story and I am sure that MB would not like to getting anywhere nearer to WPF than trading on a cash-guaranteed contract.

I would more likely think it is as alanf suggests and would most certainly find out both sides before even considering the evidence. We already know, almost for sure, that WPF do not tell the truth (in the post, already posted, must be lost in the post, etc etc.).

You are being inconsistent with your arguments/excuses. One moment it is ethics, next it is 'safety' of your money within a transaction. I think you perhaps should write and apologise to MB for even mildly suggesting any impropriety in their tradings.

Rab, have you had chance to consider my query?
Peter

Let's make this clear. It is wpf suggesting they are in bed with MB. NOT the converse.

There are always two sides to a story and I am sure that MB would not like to getting anywhere nearer to WPF than trading on a cash-guaranteed contract.

I would more likely think it is as alanf suggests and would most certainly find out both sides before even considering the evidence. We already know, almost for sure, that WPF do not tell the truth (in the post, already posted, must be lost in the post, etc etc.).

You are being inconsistent with your arguments/excuses. One moment it is ethics, next it is 'safety' of your money within a transaction. I think you perhaps should write and apologise to MB for even mildly suggesting any impropriety in their tradings.

Rab
I have no intention of contacting MB as I have never suggested that they have any impropriety in their trading, if anything I wonder why they are being associated with WFP?
If you wish to read more into my responses then I am sorry you are either misreading or I am failing to put my point across.

S

Rab
I have no intention of contacting MB as I have never suggested that they have any impropriety in their trading, if anything I wonder why they are being associated with WFP?
If you wish to read more into my responses then I am sorry you are either misreading or I am failing to put my point across.

S

Stiffy, as you seem to getting an inordinate amount of stick in this thread I'll quite happily say that I perfectly understood your point and didn't think it was unfair either to WPF or MB. To me it just read that you were disappointed that MB were associating themselves with a company which seems disreputable (WPF). Nothing radical there.

Stiffy, as you seem to getting an inordinate amount of stick in this thread I'll quite happily say that I perfectly understood your point and didn't think it was unfair either to WPF or MB. To me it just read that you were disappointed that MB were associating themselves with a company which seems disreputable (WPF). Nothing radical there.

Thank you, that is exactly the point I was trying to make!
S

How many other big name Bee Keeping Equipment suppliers - bought nucs infected with AFB and had 6 week standstill orders placed on them?

I have been asked at least half a dozen times in the past month about buying bees from WPF by people that want to keep bees, i asked one bee farmer if it was safe now to buy off wpf.

This is a copy of the email received today from him?
Hi, Mike in answer to your questions you raised.
The new-beeks that bought bees from WPF last year, reported to have EFB most were sold to hobbyist most would not know AFB /EFB from there elbow.
Bee Inspectors from all over the country had complaints regarding WPF bees, This lead to the local Essex Dafra bee-inspectors visiting WPF and finding he was infected with EFB and a high disease risk! He was Issued with a 6 week standstill order, and to close down his sales operation for the rest of the season.

Is there anyone that can answer these questions?

1. Has the Essex Dafra bee inspector inspected the bees Since the 6 week shout down for further EFB disease?
2. What was the inspectors actions in dealing with his infected stocks?
3. Was burning infected hives / bees enforced?
4. Have they made him clean up his dead empty hives- frames disbanded comb that’s scattered every where?
5. Will WPF be aloud to sell the same EFB over-wintered bee equipment?
6. As in AFB! Will the honey he sells be a disease risk?
7. What has been done to stop/reduce the disease risk happening again?
8. Selling NEW beekeeping equipment or jumping into bed with a b/k equipment manufacture is not the issue,
9. Selling diseased bees in new manufacture equipment is the concern.

Can anyone in the Essex area answer these Questions?

How many other big name Bee Keeping Equipment suppliers - bought nucs infected with AFB and had 6 week standstill orders placed on them?

the nbu website doesnot indicate AFB in Essex, it does however show EFB in Epping, https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/public/BeeDiseases/colonyReport.cfm

with 12 infected hive of which 8 were destroyed

EFB is a problem to other beekeepers as it is easier to transmit than AFB
(AFB is more an apiary disease...though spread if you pass infeted nuc on)

and there is one other big supplier who supossidly sold EFB infected Nuc this year

I have an inkling that the bee inspectors in Northern Ireland had a bit of fun chasing after bees that WPF supplied to customers over here.....(apologies in advance if I completely misunderstood the conversation I had on Saturday, but there were a few 'subtle' hints about the 'area' that the problem bees came from) I'm hoping that it isn't going to cause problems next year.

MuswellMetro,
Thank you for answering one question on WPF, but then you go on to say
(and there is one other big supplier who supossidly sold EFB infected Nuc this year ) but no names, yes we know WPF had EFB and most beekeepers new and old would get to know this, but there are a number of other big suppliers that your remark can be attached to, if they have had a stop on them then you should be able to name them, if not the word (supposedly) should not be used, If on stop, once they have a clean bill of health then the beekeeping world can be told

Latest posts

Back