wax straining materials as fire starters....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
i have read a number of posts suggesting discarded straining muslin or tights make good fire lighters.....

whilst i can see that, ive always been apprehensive in case wax vapour creates a film of wax in the flue and starts a rather bigger fire than was desired

worrying unnecessarily?

i have read a number of posts suggesting discarded straining muslin or tights make good fire lighters.....

whilst i can see that, ive always been apprehensive in case wax vapour creates a film of wax in the flue and starts a rather bigger fire than was desired

worrying unnecessarily?
Having used them on outside fires I would never use them inside. Trying to extinguish wax flames is difficult and they can burn ferociously!

worrying unnecessarily?
yes
The beauty of was is - it burns which is why, with a properly made wax candle containing the correct wick, you get no snot running down the side of the candle, the only thing emanating from burning wax is smoke.

In my area, these filters can go in the general waste bin.
General waste goes to an incinerator where the heat is recycled.

Trying to extinguish wax flames is difficult and they can burn ferociously!
I think a firelighter that goes out easily is rather a pointless thing - the whole point of the exercise is for a flame that doesn't go out (clue is in the name - fire lighter

I think a firelighter that goes out easily is rather a pointless thing - the whole point of the exercise is for a flame that doesn't go out (clue is in the name - fire lighter
What I was trying to say was that if it starts burning really fiercely it is impossible to put out! Chimney fire here I come!! Fire lighter .. great, chimney lighter...not so great!

tried stone and boiling water with about 20 cloths got so little wax back not worth the effort. I use cut up old bedsheets and then just use them as fire lighters in my wood stove, no wax left burn beautifully.

Latest posts

Back