Wax foundation sheets cell sizes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hclutten

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I live in Cape Town South Africa, I have Cape Bees, I bought about 20 brood sized sheets of wax foundation sheets locally from a lady's who's deceased husband was a beekeeper however when I went to use them I discovered they are imbedded with the cell size for African bees which are larger. Does it matter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do I need to do anything? I leave my bees alone between harvesting in Dec and then again March.

Get a beekeeping book for local bees, what you have to do.

Then, look around and accustome other beekeepers on your distirict

Harvesting: It depends, how good pastures you have. IT is better to peek every week what is going on, and how the colony grows.
Only looking every week the hive ypu learn, what honeybee tend to do. Then, when you know, what that wild bug do, then you can try to nurse it.

Take contact to some beekeeper nearby.

Thanks great advice. I have made contact with someone who is coming round on Wednesday but because I have to move the bees on Friday I'm trying to get as much info as possible. I have recently bought a bee suit, tool brush and smoker so it will be much easier for me to inspect my hives in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And then, when you get a beekeeping friend, go to help him in beekeeping works. It is best education what you can get.

great advice from Finman. the more knowledge and experience you gather the better you become. I don't know if you have a Bee Association down there but it's worth joining one as most will do a little beginners course.

Weekly inspections not such a good idea with Capensis or Scutellata - they're very flighty and tend to abscond given half the chance. Totally different mode of beekeeping to ours.

Thanks great advice. I have made contact with someone who is coming round on Wednesday but because I have to move the bees on Friday I'm trying to get as much info as possible. I have recently bought a bee suit, tool brush and smoker so it will be much easier for me to inspect my hives in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the bees don't like the wax they'll tear it down, they often build drone cells on printed worker foundation - so they are able to sort themselves out.

Weekly inspections not such a good idea with Capensis or Scutellata - they're very flighty and tend to abscond given half the chance. Totally different mode of beekeeping to ours.

How are they managed? Is it more leaving them do their own thing?

How are they managed? Is it more leaving them do their own thing?

My bee man came round on Wednesday, he inspects his brood box once a year in July (winter) when the swarm is at its smallest. He opens his supers to check for honey around the time of harvest December and March, April. The rest of the time they look after themselves.

I live in Cape Town South Africa, I have Cape Bees, I bought about 20 brood sized sheets of wax foundation sheets... I discovered they are imbedded with the cell size for African bees which are larger. Does it matter?

I don't think you need to worry about the cell size. I think the bees will build the cells how they want it.

But - if still in doubt, you can use that foundation to make starter strips, and then let the bees draw out a frame of comb as they wish. There are probably threads on here covering starter strips. Basically, cut the foundation in strips of about an inch or so and fix it to the top bar. String a wire or fishing line from side bar to side bar, or from top bar to bottom bracket to strengthen the comb.

Kitta

Latest posts

Back