Making foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainCymru

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Purchased a silicone foundation mould to give making my own a go. I cant get one to fit my frame size so have used a smaller sheet in it hoping the bees will draw the rest. I find the foundation to be very thick . I have basically clamped the foundation using the split bar on top .since it's so thick I used a clamp to press the split bar in and nail. Does anyone have any tips on using these moulds? Also is there any chance ot disease crossing over from bought in wax?I heat to 80 degrees before the pour.

Attachments

• 20210209_142303.jpg
    20210209_142303.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 117
Can't help it, Mrs reckons I lean towards OCD. The wax looks lovely and the bees will sort the gaps out no doubt but in the meantime, those little points are sticking up.

Can't help it, Mrs reckons I lean towards OCD. The wax looks lovely and the bees will sort the gaps out no doubt but in the meantime, those little points are sticking up.
because the nails have been put in incorrectly :unsure:

That's one heck of a starter strip :icon_204-2: .

Jokes a side better off cutting it up in to proper strips and let the ladies draw it out several frames au natural, though you may see more drone cells then usual.

That's one heck of a starter strip :icon_204-2: .

Jokes a side better off cutting it up in to proper strips and let the ladies draw it out several frames au natural, though you may see more drone cells then usual.

Haha yeah ......"you will draw straight ,you will draw straight !"

Haha no they are just a bit long ,I usually take a file to them before put into use . To answer Finman ,they are being used as super frames for cut comb/crush and strain .
No, you put them in wrong. My landlord used to do the same, you knock them in from the front at an angle so they pin the wedge in place and the sharp end is in the top bar.
Look at the pin below ;)

Attachments

• native 02.jpg
    native 02.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 61
No, you put them in wrong. My landlord used to do the same, you knock them in from the front at an angle so they pin the wedge in place and the sharp end is in the top bar.
Look at the pin below ;)

Ok thanks for the help

Haha no they are just a bit long ,I usually take a file to them before put into use .
No - they've been put in incorrectly - with the frame put flat on the work bench, the nails should either be put in vertically or at an angle towards the opposite inner corner of the wedge (ie at right angles to the way you've done it)
** just noticed Swarm's post - I had to take a phonecall and forgot to press send

Purchased a silicone foundation mould to give making my own a go. I cant get one to fit my frame size so have used a smaller sheet in it hoping the bees will draw the rest. I find the foundation to be very thick . I have basically clamped the foundation using the split bar on top .since it's so thick I used a clamp to press the split bar in and nail. Does anyone have any tips on using these moulds? Also is there any chance ot disease crossing over from bought in wax?I heat to 80 degrees before the pour.
Which mould did you buy ? The foundation does tend to be a bit thicker than the commercial stuff which is pressed between rollers... are you putting too much wax in the mould ?

Also is there any chance ot disease crossing over from bought in wax?I heat to 80 degrees before the pour.
No disease is a none issue. I would still only purchase wax from known sources though

Which mould did you buy ? The foundation does tend to be a bit thicker than the commercial stuff which is pressed between rollers... are you putting too much wax in the mould ?

Just the 40 quid one with two silicone sheets from Thornes . Poured the wax in gently rolling the sheet down. Watched an ozzie bloke on YouTube doing it. My third attempt was alot better tbf but they are still thicker than bought stuff.they feel nice and sturdy in the frames ,I cant pull them out anyway .hopefully the bees will start building from top bar and fix it in place.

That's a big frame! Langstroth deep? What silicone mould are you using?
Did mine yesterday and kept the wax temperature below 80degC. Pour it in and gently lower top so that it floods out the end. My mould from Thornes has a max width of 400mm so big enough for Commercial frames not Langstroth and definitely not deep enough.
Try using a rolling pin to level out the mould. Yes it's thicker than bought foundation and can vary a lot in thickness (you can see through mine) but the bees sort it out. Wouldn't use for cut comb.

That's a big frame! Langstroth deep? What silicone mould are you using?
Did mine yesterday and kept the wax temperature below 80degC. Pour it in and gently lower top so that it floods out the end. My mould from Thornes has a max width of 400mm so big enough for Commercial frames not Langstroth and definitely not deep enough.
Try using a rolling pin to level out the mould. Yes it's thicker than bought foundation and can vary a lot in thickness (you can see through mine) but the bees sort it out. Wouldn't use for cut comb.

It's a Dandant /Jumbo Lang frame . Yeah will get the hang of it eventually. Bloke I've been watching dips the mold in warm detergent water first.

I've watched that one. I don't like the idea of detergent residues on the wax. This year I didn't even rinse the mould. The first couple didn't come out without cracking so they got remelted. Took a few goes to get the hang of it. First time last year.
As your sheets don't meet the sides might be better to wire the frames like in video. I went for wired foundation but better to wire frames.

I've watched that one. I don't like the idea of detergent residues on the wax. This year I didn't even rinse the mould. The first couple didn't come out without cracking so they got remelted. Took a few goes to get the hang of it. First time last year.
As your sheets don't meet the sides might be better to wire the frames like in video. I went for wired foundation but better to wire frames.
A very weak solution of washing up liquid in water is a good release agent ... once it has dried the tiny amount of residual soap would not be a problem -if you were worried at all you just have a bowl of fresh water and after it has come out of the mould you dip it in the non-soapy water. It doesn't need very much washing up liquid but it makes a huge difference to the release from the mould.

A very weak solution of washing up liquid in water is a good release agent ... once it has dried the tiny amount of residual soap would not be a problem -if you were worried at all you just have a bowl of fresh water and after it has come out of the mould you dip it in the non-soapy water. It doesn't need very much washing up liquid but it makes a huge difference to the release from the mould.
Couple drops to a washing up bowl .anyway I have fixed a few in frames,given them a hard tug and they seem pretty solid tbh

Latest posts

Back