Who makes their own foundation?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brilliant.

What melter and press do you use in the video?

I make my own foundation. Started off with a silicon press that Garry R made for me. I then tried some rollers from another BK friend, and decided it worked better for me. I now have a large Bain Marie that I melt the wax in, and a set of large, very heavy rollers that work brilliantly. Although I do find I need to out the sheets in a plastic bag to roll, as no matter what I’ve tried, they still stick to the rollers! I didn’t buy the kit, my division bought it, and it lives at my house. my husband then made me a wiring machine That’s on its second modification, again due to the same BK friend above. Works well for me. And I find it making foundation almost as therapeutic as going through the bees!
I still have Garry’s foundation press, but it doesn’t often get used now. I find the rolled sheets are a lot more flexible, less brittle, than the ones from the silicon press.
I’ve got a video somewhere, I’ll find it and post it later.

Brilliant.

What melter and press do you use in the video?
The press comes from Graze. The wax I melt in another kettle and then pour it into this container. Au bain marie it is kept at the right temperature.

I don't. Yet. I bought a couple of sheets of plastic foundation this year with the intention of making a silicone mould from them and trying to press sheets of foundation from the silicone, but I've not got very far with that yet (where "not very far" is roughly approximated by "nowhere"). I wanted to have a go because wax doesn't appear to have much value when sold (as candles, for instance) or exchanged for foundation when compared to the resources consumed to create it. I'd quite happily use it to make starter strips for frames instead if that works (and I've been told that it can do so even when it isn't pressed into a hexagonal pattern to start the cells off for the bees), because from my point of view that's a more valuable use of the wax.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the roller. The impression I have is that pressed wax can be quite brittle whereas rolled wax is more malleable though as I've tried neither I don't know if that's true.

James
Did you get round to using the plastic foundation to make a mould? Was wondering how well it went.

Never seen a 14x12 mould made commercially. I make a 14 x 12 silicone foundation mould but you have to "stitch" two sheets of plastic foundation together to make it and that's the long and tedious part of the process. It does work but it drove me nuts!!

Never seen a 14x12 mould made commercially. I make a 14 x 12 silicone foundation mould but you have to "stitch" two sheets of plastic foundation together to make it and that's the long and tedious part of the process. It does work but it drove me nuts!!
Thank you. I thought I must be searching with the wrong words but it seems like I’m searching for something that doesn’t exist!

Or come to think of it you could just make standard deep foundation, fit it to the frames and let the bees finish the rest.

James
Which they will do quite happily.
I have a super frame in one of my 14x12s which has been drawn down to the bottom perfectly straight with no side or bottom bars to guide it

Great ideas, thank you! I started one of the hives with standard frames in the 14x12 and they neatly built up the bottom part so the standard foundation sheet with them filling in the rest may well work. I’ll have a go at all of the suggestions and keep you posted!

I have one ... it's a Langstroth size so will cut down to 14 x 12. I picked it up on ebay - came from somewhere like Lithuania from memory. They don't seem to be advertising any more though ...

We've been here before though ... this thread..

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/honey-frames-wax-foundation-sheets-and-foundationless.48608/

Sorry if I’m asking questions that have already been discussed. I did look and couldn’t see anything that answered my questions. The info that’s been provided is really helpful so thanks for taking the time to respond.

Latest posts

Back