Wax extraction.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve1958

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
With all the Honey safely extracted and stored I decided to do something about all the old wax and frames that I was left with.

Whilst some of the supers are still usable I still had several frames, especially old Brood frames, that needed cleaning.

With the warm summer weather passed the use of a solar system appeared a waste of effort and time, so...

I took an old wooden hive with a solid floor.
Lined the floor and roof with tin foil.
Added the frames.
And then attached a piece of garden hose to my carpet steamer.
The hose I placed in through the Hive entrance and then
pressed the on switch to see what would happen.

Result half a bucket of wax. :)

The wax needs cleaning, but it was far easier and quicker than the old solar melter, and I was able to clean up afterwards instaed of having the solar system sitting on the garden path for weeks.

We do the same using an old Hedgecoe ply hive, the wall paper steamer methods work well and for Brood frames I think because the steam damps the cocoons that you get a higher % of wax out than with a solar extractor

:iagree:
I do that too made a metal floor and roof and a wall paper stripper. It also sterilizes the frames and BB

Aluminium foil may be a good choice.

Many metals react with the wax and discolour or otherwise spoil it.
There are suggestions (online and in print) that Aluminium dulls the wax, but also that it doesn't.
I've used aluminium foil in my solar extractor and got out some beautiful wax, so I'm with those who think Aluminium foil is as OK as Stainless.
But Copper and Galvanised Steel are definitely in the no-no group ...

Back