Wax cappings

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Little_bees 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
I've been offered £4 a kg for my wax from a candle maker, unrendered £3 a kg.
I don't know if there is a general 'going rate' but to me that sounds incredibly low.
I filter my wax into 1oz moulds from Thornes and sell them at £1 each. People buy them for making wax wraps, beard balms, etc. Also for waxing thread for doing embroidery.
1kg is 35 ounces. Surely even wax exchange for foundation would be a better option?

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
I don't know if there is a general 'going rate' but to me that sounds incredibly low.
I filter my wax into 1oz moulds from Thornes and sell them at £1 each. People buy them for making wax wraps, beard balms, etc. Also for waxing thread for doing embroidery.
1kg is 35 ounces. Surely even wax exchange for foundation would be a better option?

You maybe right.
I've agreed now so I'll stick by my word.

I've done 5 Baileys this season that and old super frames to render down should produce some wax for something.. This will all have to be done over the colder months , I seem to be chasing my tail at the mo work has gone through the roof and I've now employed a team leader to take over my role so I can concentrate on quotes and design.

jool 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
I put my cappings back on the hive in a feeder with the cone removed. Clean wax and bees get the benefit. They rebuild the wax into some bizarre cathedrals sometimes.

janetbee 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
That's why flannellette sheets are better for wax as you can put them in hot water and wash any solidified wax out of them when you are finished. It's not usually a problem when you are filtering the wax as it passes through quickly whilst it is hot and as you top up with more hot wax it keeps it liquid. Once you stop filtering the remnants do solidify. I have a lot of these discs and as I use them I just put them in a box and when I have a few I 'boil' them all up together in a pan of hot water - obviously, you don't need to boil beeswax - I use the term in a general way.
They can be used to light your smoker.

Niv 

House Bee
Reaction score
I have been told to use surgical lint if i am wanting to make candles and wraps, although I have also been suggested to use old tights ( but not sure that will filter enough for wraps?). From some of the above that may sound a bit ott but I guess if candles / wraps are for selling quality is important for the repeat trade and at the price you can get for candles and wraps the lint is probably worth the investment.

I have not had to filter my wax to date as I haven't gathered much so so far just melted it down to save space for now. But after this year I think I have enough to do something with.

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
I have been told to use surgical lint if i am wanting to make candles and wraps, although I have also been suggested to use old tights ( but not sure that will filter enough for wraps?). From some of the above that may sound a bit ott but I guess if candles / wraps are for selling quality is important for the repeat trade and at the price you can get for candles and wraps the lint is probably worth the investment.

I have not had to filter my wax to date as I haven't gathered much so so far just melted it down to save space for now. But after this year I think I have enough to do something with.
Doubled up tights are good enough to get clean wax for candles, do it twice and I think it should be good enough for wraps.
I only use lint for preparing wax for showing. It's cheap enough on ebay or Amazon. Buy the 500g roll and it will last forever. it's not reusable and as it's such a fine filter you need to change it often. I cut it onto squares and stretch it over a bean tin with both ends removed (Heinz bean tins are one of the few varieties you can now use a tin opener on both ends) held n place with a rubber band

Reactions: Niv

Latest posts