Wax cappings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been offered £4 a kg for my wax from a candle maker, unrendered £3 a kg.

I don't know if there is a general 'going rate' but to me that sounds incredibly low.
I filter my wax into 1oz moulds from Thornes and sell them at £1 each. People buy them for making wax wraps, beard balms, etc. Also for waxing thread for doing embroidery.
1kg is 35 ounces. Surely even wax exchange for foundation would be a better option?

I don't know if there is a general 'going rate' but to me that sounds incredibly low.
I filter my wax into 1oz moulds from Thornes and sell them at £1 each. People buy them for making wax wraps, beard balms, etc. Also for waxing thread for doing embroidery.
1kg is 35 ounces. Surely even wax exchange for foundation would be a better option?

You maybe right.
I've agreed now so I'll stick by my word.

I've done 5 Baileys this season that and old super frames to render down should produce some wax for something.. This will all have to be done over the colder months , I seem to be chasing my tail at the mo work has gone through the roof and I've now employed a team leader to take over my role so I can concentrate on quotes and design.

I put my cappings back on the hive in a feeder with the cone removed. Clean wax and bees get the benefit. They rebuild the wax into some bizarre cathedrals sometimes.

That's why flannellette sheets are better for wax as you can put them in hot water and wash any solidified wax out of them when you are finished. It's not usually a problem when you are filtering the wax as it passes through quickly whilst it is hot and as you top up with more hot wax it keeps it liquid. Once you stop filtering the remnants do solidify. I have a lot of these discs and as I use them I just put them in a box and when I have a few I 'boil' them all up together in a pan of hot water - obviously, you don't need to boil beeswax - I use the term in a general way.
They can be used to light your smoker.

I have been told to use surgical lint if i am wanting to make candles and wraps, although I have also been suggested to use old tights ( but not sure that will filter enough for wraps?). From some of the above that may sound a bit ott but I guess if candles / wraps are for selling quality is important for the repeat trade and at the price you can get for candles and wraps the lint is probably worth the investment.

I have not had to filter my wax to date as I haven't gathered much so so far just melted it down to save space for now. But after this year I think I have enough to do something with.

I have been told to use surgical lint if i am wanting to make candles and wraps, although I have also been suggested to use old tights ( but not sure that will filter enough for wraps?). From some of the above that may sound a bit ott but I guess if candles / wraps are for selling quality is important for the repeat trade and at the price you can get for candles and wraps the lint is probably worth the investment.

I have not had to filter my wax to date as I haven't gathered much so so far just melted it down to save space for now. But after this year I think I have enough to do something with.
Doubled up tights are good enough to get clean wax for candles, do it twice and I think it should be good enough for wraps.
I only use lint for preparing wax for showing. It's cheap enough on ebay or Amazon. Buy the 500g roll and it will last forever. it's not reusable and as it's such a fine filter you need to change it often. I cut it onto squares and stretch it over a bean tin with both ends removed (Heinz bean tins are one of the few varieties you can now use a tin opener on both ends) held n place with a rubber band

Reactions: Niv
Does anyone have a link to a good wax processing guide or a step by step list they can share. I basically have a lump of melted wax (not filtered) and a bucket of capping's and not really sure of the process i should follow to efficiently get it to the quality for making candles / wraps / blocks for furniture etc.

Any tips gratefully received.

Edit: Oh and an equipment list too please!

TIA

Does anyone have a link to a good wax processing guide or a step by step list they can share. I basically have a lump of melted wax (not filtered) and a bucket of capping's and not really sure of the process i should follow to efficiently get it to the quality for making candles / wraps / blocks for furniture etc.

TIA
There are dozens of YouTube guides.
The simplest way to refine the wax is to take a large pot (bearing in mind you can never use it again for anything else), fill about 1/3 with water, add the wax and bring to the boil. After all the wax is melted, allow to cool. When set, a cake of wax is left floating on the top with all the debris below. Scrub off the rubbish then repeat as required.

To speed up the process you can filter through a cotton sheet/pillowcase, paper towel, nappy liner, etc. whilst still melted.

Last edited:

TIA
If you're going to do the heating in water method, it's best to do it outside. Otherwise it can make a bit of a mess of your kitchen. Be careful with hot wax and open flames if you've never done it before!

If the wax lump isn't too dirty, you could probably just remelt it in a double boiler instead (a small pan in or over a larger pan of simmering water) and then filter into a marg tub or similar. I just use plain kitchen paper for the filtering.

Be careful about temperatures. Wax melts at approx 64°c. If you go too much hotter you'll ruin the wax. It'll darken and lose its aroma. High 70s is too hot. Use a kitchen thermometer.

For the cappings, if they are still mixed with honey, soak and rinse, preferably in rain water until they're not sticky. You might be able to use tap water, depending where you live. Here in the south east our tap water is very hard, which would saponify the wax making it sludgy and a bit greyed.

If you want really nice wax for candles, etc. you'll have to melt and filter a few times. Try not to tip the dregs at the bottom of the pot into the filter. Wipe the pot with clean kitchen paper between meltings. (The paper can be saved for firelighters.)

Now is the perfect time to get cappings cleaned, when it's pouring down. I have a drawstring helmet bag which is great for the job, just fill it up and hang it outside.

I will render it down and see what's left I've received an email from someone who makes wax wraps and candles but I'm not sure how much she will pay.

I might end up keeping it and either making some foundation or perhaps make some scented candles as presents for Christmas.
The cheapest source I’ve seen on the net is £6.77 for 500g with BE equipment. Someone in my association sold his filtered cappings wax to a candle maker for £10/lb. If you have a local bee association auction it can also sells for good prices there. I saw a largish block sold for £25 at the last one I went to.

Niv All good advice re rendering and filtering above. I only have two hives but I have found the best way for me (for safety and lack of mess) is to use an old slow cooker. I found one at a car boot for £5 (you'll probably have to try Ebay at the moment) and it works fine. I put about an inch and a half of water (ours is hard so I use our fresh reverse osmosis water for our marine tank, but don't tell my husband), stretch a fine paint filter over the edges of the croc, fill and put on ;pw/ For the first melting, I place a piece of thick kitchen roll in the filter, to catch the worst sludge. On the last melting, I break up the wax when it is solid but slightly warm, so that I can break it up easily.

Reactions: Niv

Latest posts

Back