Wax cappings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ideally melt it down to cakes (I use a Burco boiler) then sell it or trade it in return for wax foundation with one of the beekeeping suppliers. I got a good deal at Thorne's stand at Bee Tradex on March 13 - the same w/e as the Cheltenham Races where I believe several racegoers caught the Covid. Beekeepers could have been decimated....
Let's hope things are better next year

I was thinking I might get more money for it if I sell it to a candle maker
or one of these wax wrap makers - they will still expect it to be rendered and filtered though.
Yoy may think it's pristine and virginally clean but when you melt it, you will be surprised at the amount of slumbum you're left with.

or one of these wax wrap makers - they will still expect it to be rendered and filtered though.
Yoy may think it's pristine and virginally clean but when you melt it, you will be surprised at the amount of slumbum you're left with.
I will render it down and see what's left I've received an email from someone who makes wax wraps and candles but I'm not sure how much she will pay.

I might end up keeping it and either making some foundation or perhaps make some scented candles as presents for Christmas.

I will render it down and see what's left I've received an email from someone who makes wax wraps and candles but I'm not sure how much she will pay.

I might end up keeping it and either making some foundation or perhaps make some scented candles as presents for Christmas.
I know a bee farmer in the marches who gets nagged and nagged to sell cappings wax for wax wraps, so to disccourage them he set a price of £14.00 a pound - and they keep coming back for more.

I know a bee farmer in the marches who gets nagged and nagged to sell cappings wax for wax wraps, so to disccourage them he set a price of £14.00 a pound - and they keep coming back for more.
Forward his details :sneaky:

My Autumn/Winter bee related fun this year will be using my wax for candles, polish etc..

Ideally melt it down to cakes (I use a Burco boiler) then sell it or trade it in return for wax foundation with one of the beekeeping suppliers. I got a good deal at Thorne's stand at Bee Tradex on March 13 - the same w/e as the Cheltenham Races where I believe several racegoers caught the Covid. Beekeepers could have been decimated....
Let's hope things are better next year

Seen you post about wax rendering using a Burco. I have a very old Burco Boiler circa 1950 vintage and have used it for rendering wax but the stuff I got out was rubbish. I have another 3-4 kg of cleaned wax that is ready for rendering. So what is your secret please, boiler temp etc. A pal suggested putting all the wax in a bag and sinking it with a brick at 60C and then cooling it until the wax solidifies.

Seen you post about wax rendering using a Burco. I have a very old Burco Boiler circa 1950 vintage and have used it for rendering wax but the stuff I got out was rubbish. I have another 3-4 kg of cleaned wax that is ready for rendering. So what is your secret please, boiler temp etc. A pal suggested putting all the wax in a bag and sinking it with a brick at 60C and then cooling it until the wax solidifies.
Filtration.

Back