Wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holmbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
We had very few wasps around last year - unlike the pervious one in 2020. So have been very surprised by the numbers seen in the last few days. Presumable they have surfaced with the very warm spell. There were six in the garage, two in the workshop and several in the garden and around the apiary all in the last three days.

We had very few wasps around last year - unlike the pervious one in 2020. So have been very surprised by the numbers seen in the last few days. Presumable they have surfaced with the very warm spell. There were six in the garage, two in the workshop and several in the garden and around the apiary all in the last three days.
Same here - Dorset based too. Doesn’t bode well for late Summer...

I caught 7 queen wasps in a trap 2 weeks ago but non since, hope I don't see any more but last year we had over 1000 caught in traps. The trouble is we can't find the nests as they are in private gardens.

When I was cutting back the ivy on my fence, I noticed some large wasps come flying out. Have you seen the anti wasp bee bottom hive base by black mountain honey on you tube? Maybe worth a watch might help.

I don't understand this annual obsessive annihilation of wasps, queens in particular to be honest, it just shows a tragic lack of understanding
I agree. Live and let live. They do a really good job all year

The article says that social wasps (the type we usually refer to) consume approx. 14 million kilos of caterpillars and other pests such as spiders, flies etc per year
some 'experts' believe that figure is per colony!!! :icon_204-2:

Saw two lovely queen wasps this morning at the back of the house basking in the sun. Assume newly emerged.
Very glad to see some as we had zero wasps last year and a grim infestation of blackfly which I believe they predate on.

They do need to evolve the ability to get out of a greenhouse though. I had one going absolutely bananas trying to get out of mine this afternoon. Didn't seem to be able to manage it even with all four roof vents and the door wide open.

James

They do need to evolve the ability to get out of a greenhouse though. I had one going absolutely bananas trying to get out of mine this afternoon. Didn't seem to be able to manage it even with all four roof vents and the door wide open.

James
Bumbles are similar. I usually have to rescue at least one a day, more when the tomatoes start flowering 🙄

Latest posts

Back