Wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmonag

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
6 Rose Hives
As I was adding another box (super) to a hive this morning, I noticed a gap between them.
"I'd better tape that up" I thought, "or else the wasps will get in.". Then I realised I have not seen a single wasp at all, this year.

After last year, which was a wasp plague here in Suffolk, that is great. Anyone else noticed this or otherwise?

As I was adding another box (super) to a hive this morning, I noticed a gap between them.
"I'd better tape that up" I thought, "or else the wasps will get in.". Then I realised I have not seen a single wasp at all, this year.

After last year, which was a wasp plague here in Suffolk, that is great. Anyone else noticed this or otherwise?

I am already seeing wasps sharking around. Which is ominous.

There don't seem to be as many around yet but I have seen a couple.

Seen the odd one , but then my neighbours all got together and went on the war path exterminating nests last year thus so far ,its been quiet.

Haven't seen any yet this year either. There's usually a couple hanging around the hives, picking off the unsuspecting, but nothing yet. Is it still a bit early with the weather we've been having? Lots of rain here lately with only the odd sunny day, nothing consistent.

There were a few wasp Qs in May trying to find a nest. Very late.

Seen a couple of wasps so first trap set today - mine take 2-3 days for the fruit to rot before they become effective.

But as above I expect far fewer than last year.
Hope springs eternal...

I caught a number of queens in the Spring and have only seen a few lately, but it’s still early for them to be a nuisance. I’m hoping to drink the cider myself this year🤪

Still very early, I’m usually aware of wasps around feed and varroa treatment time………..that said I hope they’re not the issue they were last year🤞

Sorry Amari, please ignore my juvenile comment :)

Wasps are strange where I am - we don't get nests of any size like in the UK. Here, a nest is big if it has 20 to 30 wasps in it! I'm a first year bee keeper so time will tell, however, I'm hoping with that difference that wasps won't be such a problem as presumably in the UK hives can suffer from en masse wasp attacks?

We do however get Asian hornets although I've only seen 3 this year so far - each time taking a bee mind you. One this morning would have gone in the hive had the entrance reducer not been in place. Upon being 'questioned' by a resident bee, it took the bee and flew off!

Same here caught three very large ones early on and literally nothing since, preparing for an onslaught!!

Wasps are strange where I am - we don't get nests of any size like in the UK. Here, a nest is big if it has 20 to 30 wasps in it! I'm a first year bee keeper so time will tell, however, I'm hoping with that difference that wasps won't be such a problem as presumably in the UK hives can suffer from en masse wasp attacks?

We do however get Asian hornets although I've only seen 3 this year so far - each time taking a bee mind you. One this morning would have gone in the hive had the entrance reducer not been in place. Upon being 'questioned' by a resident bee, it took the bee and flew off!
We are all on tenterhooks about Asian hornets getting established here, then we can enjoy both problems😩

Seen one or two lurking but no intrusions that I've seen yet.

Usually really starts third week July but will maybe set some traps this weekend.

All it may mean is that wasps are not yet ‘sugar feeding’.

I neither keep bees by the calendar, nor expect wasps to be any different.

Sorry Amari, please ignore my juvenile comment :)

Worry not! This forum gives wonderful opportunity to revert to childhood: lavatory humour; 'mine is bigger than yours'; memories of great-aunt Myfanwy etc. Not that I'm thinking of any particular forum member, of course....

Latest posts

Back