Making WBC hives wasp-proof

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Does anyone have any tips. I've found that whatever I do there seems to be gap between the end of the sliding entrance-restrictors and the lift that they slide against. Consequently I see wasps getting in through a 'side entrance' without the bees at the front seeming to notice.

Has anyone else found this problem and, if so, what is a solution?

Does anyone have any tips. I've found that whatever I do there seems to be gap between the end of the sliding entrance-restrictors and the lift that they slide against. Consequently I see wasps getting in through a 'side entrance' without the bees at the front seeming to notice.

Block the gaps up with foam rubber ... just give the bees one bee space in the entrance. Consider adapting one of the tunnel entrances you will find designs/photos for on here to fit the WBC entrance.

Remove the entrance restrictors which aren't a good fit anyway, and replace with a WBC Wasp Out from Thornes, which is essentially a tunnel entrance, as advocated by Pargyle.

On close inspection I realise that the problem is that there is a little fore and aft play in the seating of the lower lift. When it is forward there is a gap of 6mm or so between the back of the slides and the base of the hive. The wasps have been using this as a side-entrance.

So, I've attached some pieces of wood to the landing board which now keep the lower lift on its back-stop, thus eliminating the gaps. It ought to work.

IMG_4258 Small.jpeg

The wedge shaped piece below the front of the lift needs to be chamfered so that the lift front surface is in continuation all the way down to the landing board. It is usually shown in building plans with a vertical front edge but that leaves a gap. You also need to make sure the lowest lift cannot move forwards and backwards more than a few mm. This sometimes needs blocks of wood placed on the base inside the rear of the lift which then stop forward movement of that lift with a resultant gap behind the slides.

Attachments

• IMG_20220902_185110202.jpg
    IMG_20220902_185110202.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 0
But even if it is chamfered, if the lift is a few millimetres too far forward and there is a little play in the slides themselves then a gap quickly emerges between the rear face of the slide and the (chamfered) face of the stand. I’m hoping that my little blocks will eliminate both problems.

But even if it is chamfered, if the lift is a few millimetres too far forward and there is a little play in the slides themselves then a gap quickly emerges between the rear face of the slide and the (chamfered) face of the stand. I’m hoping that my little blocks will eliminate both problems.
hence the need to keep lift movement to the minimum. Its not a great design.
Im thinking of adding strips of wood to each side of the front of the lift, so that the lift goes all the way down to the landing board at the sides. The wedges would need to be modified.

Latest posts

Back