Wasp Queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karsal

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 Pay*es Poly Hives 7 Poly Nucs
Hi all
Beautiful few days here in Lancashire. All my hives have had bees flying and bringing in pollen. Signs are looking good but not being complacent. Checked the fondant containers on the hives today and they have gone mad.
I was surprised to see that over half of the 500 grams had been consumed since last Friday.
However I did notice a very large queen wasp emerging from the side of my compost bin yesterday. Looks like she had overwintered in the warmth of the decaying matter. Squished her so one less colony.
So if the bees are flying then the wasp queens are flying and on the lookout for a home. Keep an eye out for them.

I also saw a queen wasp today, but I was happy(!) also the first bumble bee queen.
I'm very grateful for the work all those millions of wasps put in taking cabbage white eggs and caterpillars off my greens through early and mid-summer...
A

And I am wasp phobic! (ish.......thanks to Karol ;) )

I think they are wonderful creatures.
Husband and I did some logging and we found ten in the woodpile, all carefully replaced.
I took this some years ago in Bushy Park, Hornets. They had a nest in one of the trees by the lake, you can see some of the paper nest to the right of the picture.

Attachments

• Hornets.JPG
    Hornets.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 78
Husband and I did some logging and we found ten in the woodpile, all carefully replaced.
I took this some years ago in Bushy Park, Hornets. They had a nest in one of the trees by the lake, you can see some of the paper nest to the right of the picture.

Wow! Look at those beauties! Great picture.

I squished her because one of my weaker hives could become her new home or anyone else's for that matter. Her offspring could also be robbers who decimate my hives later in the year!
ONE colony less to deal with.

I squished her because one of my weaker hives could become her new home or anyone else's for that matter. Her offspring could also be robbers who decimate my hives later in the year!

well done I would do the same as I did to 2 this week if people want to let them be then that's up 2 them but I dont

Well, considering that neighbouring hedgerows contain hundreds if not thousands of nests that one queen will make all the difference.
The best defence is a good strong colony.

:yeahthat:My pet hate!...they really tried to nail both hives last year. Dispatched three nests within 50 yards of the hives, did it before I had bees & will continue.

End of last year I found a Hornets nest about half a mile away, I have left that but should I have??

The best defence is a good strong colony.
... and making sure any weak stock or nuc has a suitably restricted entrance - even down to a single bee-width (plus watching your hives just in case.)

I believe that wasps only start looking for sugar when their brood nest dwindles in mid- to late-summer, as up to then the brood (fed with protein, i.e. chewed caterpillars and eggs) rewards the workers with a sugar-rich by-product.

Re hornets, Wiki says:

"Unwarranted fear of V. crabro has often led to the destruction of nests. This has led to the decline of the species, which is often locally threatened or even endangered. European hornets benefit from legal protection in some countries, notably Germany, where it has been illegal to kill a European hornet or nest since January 1, 1987, with a fine of up to €50,000."
It also says they "eat many species of insects. Many of these insects are considered pests in the garden, which indicates that the hornet provides a benefit to the average garden/farm. [like wasps then. A.] However, they are known to eradicate domestic honeybee hives..."

Given that there aren't many of them around (I've only ever seen 2) I would have left them alone too, but that attitude could change if they become numerous as a result of climate change...

It broke my heart watching wasps pick off my bees when I had them, but I have educated myself since. There is a lot you can do to aid the bees at that time of year. Such a shame that they make it through the perils of winter, only for someone to just squash them when they emerge. It saddens me.

That is a lovely picture of the hornets.

Although peaceful and interesting, they always look terrifying to me, with those big yellow heads and eyes, I'd rather walk into a bear's cave than disturb that nest.

Last edited:

You won't think their wonderful after they've just rapped one of your hives and left all your bees for dead! Happened to me last season and any wasps I see will be getting same treatment. I'm sorry if people aren't happy with this but trust me, you don't want them anywhere near your hives, esp if their weak.

You won't think their wonderful after they've just rapped one of your hives and left all your bees for dead!

On the contrary. They remain one of the most fascinating and organised insects.
There is lots you could have done to ameliorate the situation.

I quite agree that it is devastating to see a hive annihilated by wasps but I wouldn't go killing overwintering queens on the off chance that their offspring might be the ones that bother my hives.
If you go to http://www.waspbane.com and click on the beekeeping link there is masses of very interesting stuff there about wasp behaviour and protecting hives. It's not an advert for the product as such.
The author, Karol, posts here too on occasion.

Last edited:
:iagree:
You won't think their wonderful after they've just rapped one of your hives and left all your bees for dead! Happened to me last season and any wasps I see will be getting same treatment. I'm sorry if people aren't happy with this but trust me, you don't want them anywhere near your hives, esp if their weak.

On the contrary. They remain one of the most fascinating and organised insects.
There is lots you could have done to ameliorate the situation.

I quite agree that it is devastating to see a hive annihilated by wasps but I wouldn't go killing overwintering queens on the off chance that their offspring might be the ones that bother my hives.
If you go to http://www.waspbane.com and click on the beekeeping link there is masses of very interesting stuff there about wasp behaviour and protecting hives. It's not an advert for the product as such.
The author, Karol, posts here too on occasion.

He has almost cured me of my wasp phobia. I totally agree. Those poor queens!

Latest posts

Back