Wasp Nests in a roof.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

666bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 swarms, 1 14x12 nuc, national nuc
Not something I would normally takle but the chap where I keep my bees has two wasps nests in his roof. You can see them pouring in and out. Whats the best way to takle them. I thought wait until night and then see if I could get the whole nest in a bin liner. Hopefully getting all the wasps in there aswell. ps using a redlight as I have heared they cannot see red light.

Any suggestions would be great.

ps trouble is bee suit, you are volunteered.

Thanks

I thought wait until night and then see if I could get the whole nest in a bin liner.

Go very well protected - they may not all go in the nest on a hot summer night. If dealt with early enough the bin bag may be a good way. The other is the spray-at-a-distance wasp killer stuff and use the bin liner the next morning.

Regards, RAB

Thanks, will wait till I've come back off holiday before doing it. By the amount of wasps coming and going they must be big nests.

Use powder wasp killer. puff it into the entrance. they take it inside and it kills from inside out. Do not use foam stuff which kills by suffocation and is crap!
When dead use Henry hoover to hoover the whole lot up!!

will wait till I've come back off holiday before doing it. By the amount of wasps coming and going they must be big nests.

Two weeks can make a tremendous difference to the size of the nest. They normally only get bigger, in good weather - bigger faster!

RAB

If he can put up with them, they'll be dead by the winter and any queens dispersed.

He should make a note of any entrances and seal them when they're dead or gone.

There are expanding foam sprays on the market specifically for wasp nests, that project some distance and will seal then into their nest if he can't wait.

Here's a link to one type:-

http://www.pesthelp.co.uk/weshop/Wasps.asp

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advise.

Latest posts

Back