Bees nest in roof somewhere ??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloyd

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi Folks, Im a builder and working on a house refurbishment project in Kirkham, Lancashire. Im pretty sure that bees as nesting in the roof somewhere as there has been many coming into the lounge area and when its sunny there is a lot of activity outside with them flying in and out underneath the roof tiles All the ceiling are down inside the property, but no obvious sign of a nest. Would it be possible they are in the soffit or under the tiles but above the roofing felt, hence me not being able to see anything from inside? Any suggestions on getting them found and removed humainly would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• bee.jpg
    bee.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 37
Thanks Dani, I have requested to join that group. Just for reference what type of bee is the one pictured in the post?
Ah...Is that what you are seeing?
These are tree bumbles. Bombus hypnorum. They often nest in soffits. The nest will be maturing in six weeks or so and they will disappear.
Sorry I didn't look earlier

PS. If you are not intending to go in the roof you can safely leave them alone as the nest isn't permanent. Pretty soon the queen will produce drones and more queens for the next generation and the existing nest will die off. They can be defensive if they are disturbed though but working near where they fly shouldn't be a problem. The nest will be only a couple of hundred strong.

PS. If you are not intending to go in the roof you can safely leave them alone as the nest isn't permanent. Pretty soon the queen will produce drones and more queens for the next generation and the existing nest will die off. They can be defensive if they are disturbed though but working near where they fly shouldn't be a problem. The nest will be only a couple of hundred strong.
Thanks you have been most helpful. If i could deter them from coming into the house i wouldnt be bothered. There were 6 live ones yesterday mornibg lying on the floor as i was cold, i rescued them and put them outside. Tue was hot/sunny, and there were many getting into the house and once inside were not happy about me being there, and they were getting more frustrated as when could get out until i opened the window for them to eascape

Hello Lloyd, sorry for jumping on your post but we appear to be having the same experience with some tree bumblebees.
we have been having work done due to leaks and I think our roofer has blocked the entrance to the nest. We are still getting a few hovering around where the entrance used to be outside but otherwise have been noticing bees appearing in our kitchen all of a sudden which is below the room which they are in the roof of.(I suspect anyway) Just wanted to see if anyone had an advice of what would happen if the nest had been blocked up, will we get all the bees gradually making their way through our house?

Hello Lloyd, sorry for jumping on your post but we appear to be having the same experience with some tree bumblebees.
we have been having work done due to leaks and I think our roofer has blocked the entrance to the nest. We are still getting a few hovering around where the entrance used to be outside but otherwise have been noticing bees appearing in our kitchen all of a sudden which is below the room which they are in the roof of.(I suspect anyway) Just wanted to see if anyone had an advice of what would happen if the nest had been blocked up, will we get all the bees gradually making their way through our house?
Maybe these are the bees that were out when the nest was blocked up. The nest will just die of starvation

Thanks you have been most helpful. If i could deter them from coming into the house i wouldnt be bothered. There were 6 live ones yesterday mornibg lying on the floor as i was cold, i rescued them and put them outside. Tue was hot/sunny, and there were many getting into the house and once inside were not happy about me being there, and they were getting more frustrated as when could get out until i opened the window for them to eascape
Just another word. When the nest matures it will have a good number of virgin queens ready to mate. You’ll notice a sudden increase in activity outside the nest. These are drones mobbing the entrance eager to mate. These are harmless they aren’t interested in anything but what’s in the nest.

Im getting plenty coming in the house im working at, but the house has been gutted and there are no ceilings remaining. I know nothing about bees, but i guess they will have to go somewhere

Well I’ve explained their natural history. So they have found an alternative way out. If that’s unsuitable is there any way you can give them access to the old entrance?

Maybe these are the bees that were out when the nest was blocked up. The nest will just die of starvation
Thank you for your reply.

I’ve been doing some reading up about the bees, we appear to still be getting the men bees hanging around where the work has been done and potentially blocked the entrance up. Is it normal for them to hang around for a while? How do they know where a nest is?

Im sitting watching them now and it’s the same 3 bees buzzing so maybe they are from the nest itself blocked outside and you’re right .

I’m quite fascinated by the whole thing and puzzled by how they are gaining access to the kitchen,
However I just witnessed an extremely large bee squeeze through the smallest gap in my bath panel! So once they see light they go for it 😂

Just another word. When the nest matures it will have a good number of virgin queens ready to mate. You’ll notice a sudden increase in activity outside the nest. These are drones mobbing the entrance eager to mate. These are harmless they aren’t interested in anything but what’s in the nest.
I tell my enquirers they are like teenage boys with raging hormones 😎

Many thanks folks, everyone has been so helpful :) I.ve got some Rockwool loft insulation this afternoon, i am tomorrow going to carefully fill the voids ( its raining here from 11 am in sunny Lancashire , so my lodgers should be chilled out) in the eaves from inside the house ( ceilings are down ) Hopefully that will block the light from the nest and deter them from entering the house, they can come and go from outside. I really don't want the client to get in a pest control firm, as i,m guessing they would take the easy money and destroy the nest.Know nothing about bees, but there so interesting to watch and will be doing my best to have them left alone. Thanks again folks, really appreciate the help.

Latest posts

Back