Wasp nest in local rag

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
There was an article in the local paper last night regarding a wasp nest in the roof of a pub.

Its a contender for the largest ever in the uk.

WHEN pest controller Sean Whelan was called to a break out of wasps at a Southampton pub it didn’t take long to find the source of the problem.
In a corner of the watering hole’s loft he found the biggest wasp nest he had ever seen.
In fact the nest was so large it was the size of a double bed mattress and was home to up to half a million killer wasps.
Built around a chimney stack the six foot by five foot nest was 15 times bigger than a typical one and is thought to be one of the biggest in the UK.
“The wasps were buzzing all over the place.
There was enough to kill someone if they weren’t wearing the right clothing,” said Sean.
“It was without doubt the biggest nest I have ever seen. It was an amazing sight – I couldn’t believe my eyes.”
The pub has not been identified, but its wasps nest has cause a real buzz in the insect world.
Kevin Higgins, from the British Pest Control Association, said: “It’s certainly the biggest I have seen and would be an UK contender.
“I believe the largest ever was found on a farm in New Zealand in 1963 and measured 12 foot long by 5.9 foot diameter.”
Using a telescopic poll, Mr Whelan cracked open the top of the nest and squirted the megacolony with a powerful insecticide.
It is unusual for nests, which are built from wood pulp, to be so big at this time year as the height of the wasp season is still weeks away.
Experts agree the giant nest – one of eight found in the loft – must have been hidden in the pub for at least year to grow so big.
David Baldock, from the Bees, Wasps and Ants Records Society, added: “It’s certainly an enormous nest, but I can’t believe it was a live nest.
“At this time of year queen wasps are just beginning to build their nests but they would be very small nests now.
“I've never seen a nest that size.”

Unless that nest had kept going right through the winter (maybe due to heat from the chimney?) That nest wasnt live! There was probable a new nest tucked onto the side of the big one and thats where the wasps were coming from.

I did one end of last year which was 4' in each direction! Twas like an overgrown space hopper. When i stabbed the nest, it blew up a gooden and they were pouring out like water. Hit an run job!
Half the trouble is, most of todays pest controllers dont even know what they are dealing with. I have heard of pest controllers treating bee colonies and they thought they were wasps. And that is THIS year!!!!

So dont believe everything you hear.

Last edited:
I agree, its hard to beleive that was a live nest of that size at this time of year, makes no sense - I found a golf ball nest under a nation roof today, created this week by a queen but it was empty when we found it (gone now :) ).

That image has to be a previous seasons nest, big mind.

'' was home to up to half a million killer wasps. ''
NOT happy about that :cuss: With statements like that joe public will kill wasp like insects, like honey bees along with other bees incase the are '' killer wasps'' :rant:

Deliberate irony? Or as bad as the original?

I always thought Wasps (and Honey Bees and "other bees") were insects.

But the public ring me sayin the are 100% sure they are honey bees and after them telling me the colour they are wasps or bumble bees.

hubby treats a lot of wasp through the year, I also cant believe nest was live, probably a small nest near or under! Had a nest that was not far that pic, but that was hornets! not fun! He has seen a decline in recent years of people saying they are wasps when they are bees, but we are in slightly more rural area. Wasp nests are beautiful things even when small. this was jsut at the start of the season last year I think, still held a good sting load of wasps though! Also just found one of the larger ones he did last year!

Last edited:
But the public ring me sayin the are 100% sure they are honey bees and after them telling me the colour they are wasps or bumble bees.

I wasn't doubting the errrrrrr..... "ability" of GP to mis-identify a housefly as an eagle.....

Just (tongue in cheek) your phrasing......
ie you could be mis-read as sounding like a stereotypical Movie Baddy....
<Bad Mid-european accent> "I weel squash you like insects!!"

rather than "....killing 'wasp like' creatures....."

Oh man, you should hear the calls i get and after interagation they STILL insist they have wasps, on the odd occasion they have convinced me that they do in fact have an early nest, i turn out, 30 mile trip to find big fat fluffy bumble bees.

The best one was ants, they thought they were "baby wasps"

Its a fact! the nation is now officialy retarded.

Latest posts

Back