Washing your bee suit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephenw

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi guys,

I have a bee jacket and veil and leather glove gauntlets made by Fragile Plan-t. Could some one please advise me how to wash these as it my first year?

Many Thanks

Steve

Try the link below - the discussion is ongoing at the moment. I think the safest way ir remove veil and handwash it. Then wash the suit in the machine using non bio powder.
As for the gloves - i've machine washed mine before but you must leae to air dry naturally or the become stiff. Anyway, follow the thread - plenty of ideas there

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15145

The things people find to worry about...

I take off my veil and chuck it in the washing machine, the suit that is, and hand wash the veil.

It is that simple....KISS>..LOL

PH

:iagree:

Read the Label

The things people find to worry about...

PH

I agree PH,in fact it is a complete waste of time asking questions on the forum,

In fact it is a coplete waste of times keeping bees or having any hobbies.

No bees = No worries..

Enough off hand replies and we should have a userbase of zero in no time. :rolleyes:

I know your posting style but any new members could hit the little red X at the top of the forum never to return.

Happy new year to you sir...

Not to worry I am going off the forum shortly.

PH

Any tips on getting grey mould marks off my white Marshall suit? Tried mild bleach - didn't work. The suit was left in my shed over last winter. Won't make that mistake again.:blush5:

Over winter

Hi johnmcc, Happy new Year 2 U.
So do you mean to say you never wore the said suit over the last Winter?
Ok I know I have 20 Hives, but my Suits are used just about EVERY week Summer and Winter, never get a chance to get mouldy.
I look at my bees at home here in Rainham every day, just a visual, to see whats going on. I can count on my hands the days that the girls have NOT been flying in the last 3 months.
I inspect under the roof on about the 10th day, every single hive, this is to replace the Fondant over the Porter bee escape hole.
Sometimes they are well behaved and tolerate me being there, other days if its colder-less tolerant. Hence the suit being worn.
But they love the Fondant.
See my website for Pics of everything going on in the three apiaries, [Edited by admin as promoting own website].
Keep the suit clean by wearing it more often. Good luck in 2012.
Bob.

I wash my bee suit after each use, so whereever I go next I have a fresh suit so I minimise disease transfer. I have a decent suit which takes this fine, I have seen some cheaper suits fall appart very quickly with washing so be careful. I am sure FP suits won't be like that :rolleyes:. Leather gloves I love but have given up on totally now. I had a lovely demo this year where I wave my old glove near a hive and you can hear the chnge in note the bees make as they get angry....re washing insructions I just follow the label.

Any tips on getting grey mould marks off my white Marshall suit? Tried mild bleach - didn't work. The suit was left in my shed over last winter. Won't make that mistake again.:blush5:

You could try a mildew remover, one for fabric, or even a carpet shampoo.

If you prefer not to use chemicals you could mix some lemon juice with salt and rub the stain(s) gently and leave to dry, then wash off. It might not work if it's too badly mildewed.

I wash mine veil and all in with the whites. and I bleach it... If your suit cant handle a good wash cycle you should have bought a better suit. I get about 10 years of use out of one with regular washes.

40c standard Tesco non Bio powder and a cup of Washing Soda after each day visit ( hood turned into the suit and the zips closed

if heavy proplised scrub in strong washing soda solution then all the old washing soda water into the tub

Last edited:
I use mine for a couple of years without washing, then I buy a new one.
I then use the old one in my smoker, if it's made from a heavy cotton, it burns for a long time....

Most garments come with instructions - try going back to FP and asking them.
Eb

This may be tempting another discussion of concentrations, but the other use of oxalic acid is getting stains out of sails and suchlike. :rolleyes:

Usual precaution of trying it on an inconspicuous corner first. No sugar syrup either.

This may be tempting another discussion of concentrations, but the other use of oxalic acid is getting stains out of sails and suchlike. :rolleyes:

Usual precaution of trying it on an inconspicuous corner first. No sugar syrup either.

I use it all the time on my boat for lots of stains, but mostly rust or blood stains, we kill lots of fish you understand and it stains the decks like crazy...

Also use it on the sails, but no good for getting out mould, check out photo...

Oh, and before you ask, yes someone else took the photo and I had to pay for it, but unless your a sailor, you will have on idea how hard it is to get a photo of your boat with the sails up!!!!

Last edited:
I use it all the time on my boat for lots of stains, but mostly rust or blood stains... Also use it on the sails, but no good for getting out mould, check out photo.
Ah well, worth a try, had some good results with other marks. Like the boat, could ignore the odd mould stain.:)

I use mine for a couple of years without washing, then I buy a new one.
I then use the old one in my smoker, if it's made from a heavy cotton, it burns for a long time....

Shame on you :ack2:... suits should be washed regularly - if you had a problem hive -then were asked to look at a new bee keepers hive to advise- you could be carrying disease from one area to another

If mould wont come out with mould removing solution then dye suit a dark colour. Better mouldy than filthy!!

Latest posts

Back