Washing soda crystals

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 kg soda to 5 kg (=litres) of water is the Beebase recommendation.
For all uses, I believe.
1:5 by weight.

Washing soda is not anhydrous sodium carbonate

I'll stand corrected ... soda ash, washing soda, Na2Co3....

I thought anhydrous was the powder version ?

If you are telling me it won't give you a nice red skin and a burning sensation if you use it in solution without gloves then I'd question that. As for getting a splash in the eyes ... not pleasant. First hand experience of both of these !

Sodium carbonate (also known as washing soda or soda ash), Na2CO3 is a sodium salt of carbonic acid.

- In domestic use, it is used as a water softener in laundering.
- Sodium carbonate can be used to remove grease, oil and wine stains.
- Sodium carbonate is a food additive (E500) used as an acidity regulator, anti-caking agent,
- Sodium carbonate is used in toothpastes, where it acts as a foaming agent and an abrasive, and to temporarily increase mouth pH.

That reminds me of the guy who went to see his bank manager and asked:
"How do I stand for a loan?". "You don't," came the reply. "You grovel!"

Dusty

Yes ... I've first hand experience of that as well ... even before the banking crisis ... umbrellas on fine days comes to mind !

The only thing I have ever used Washing soda for is baiting deer while hunting... They love the stuff.

You get through an awful lot of Soda Crystals by using it 1:5 don't you? Are there any suppliers who sell it in larger quantities than 1kG?

Not sure about larger than 1kg, as we buy ours in packs from bookers. I think if i remember rightly there are 9 bags to a pack.

We use 25 kg bags at work and get them delivered dy the pallet load, would have to ask who are supplier is.

Latest posts

Back