Warning Signs?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reawakening this thread as I am not clear if anyone has a concrete answer on the legal aspects of warning signs. I’ve just had some cheap signs made saying

“Caution, honey bees at work, bees may sting, please keep your distance from the hives, beekeeper tel no”.

On reading a post on FB this morning with a few American posters it seems in some states this can see this as accepting liability, so does anyone know ‘legally’ if this is the same in the UK. I made the signs just to ensure nobody gets too close and they are small discreet signs so unlikely to attract too much attention but now thinking maybe I shouldn’t use them at all!

Apiary is a fenced off part of a private field away from the road and currently there are sheep in the other part of the field but I have seen locals walking dogs and grandchildren when they are not. Scotland also has a different access code to the rest of UK, people can go pretty much anywhere!

A association nearby has an apiary in the middle of a village with no issues but I do worry a lot about people other than me being stung (maybe overly so).
I checked with our holiday cottage agents and our insurance when I started with bees a few years ago and they both said if someone was stung how could they tell it was one of your bees. As far as warning signs go we took on a rescue dog that turned out to be a bit dodgy and the trailer we hired said definitely do not put up signs saying beware of the dog etc because if you do you have admitted you know there is a problem.

I checked with our holiday cottage agents and our insurance when I started with bees a few years ago and they both said if someone was stung how could they tell it was one of your bees.
In the unlikely event of someone bringing a case against you, if a honey bee stung him within a few feet of your hive, the judge would likely find it was your bee on the balance of probabilities.

In the unlikely event of someone bringing a case against you, if a honey bee stung him within a few feet of your hive, the judge would likely find it was your bee on the balance of probabilities.
Probable is not proof

Probable is not proof

It can be in a court.

In civil cases particularly I believe the standard of proof required is only the balance of probabilities, so if the judge felt that it had been demonstrated to be more likely than not that the bee came from the hives in question, that would be good enough.

James

I suppose it could be suggested that one of the many wasps frequenting the apiary could have stung the person, most people don’t know the difference. The amount of people who ask what my bees look like then say ‘oh, like wasps’.

Anyway, I wanted to put them there to deter people from getting close enough to be stung in the first place, but then became aware that it might cause more trouble for me if I did (if they were stung) and I know they might be. Currently there are no signs and i’m still undecided if it’s a good thing to do or not!

I suppose it could be suggested that one of the many wasps frequenting the apiary could have stung the person, most people don’t know the difference. The amount of people who ask what my bees look like then say ‘oh, like wasps’.

Anyway, I wanted to put them there to deter people from getting close enough to be stung in the first place, but then became aware that it might cause more trouble for me if I did (if they were stung) and I know they might be. Currently there are no signs and i’m still undecided if it’s a good thing to do or not!
My neighbour's bees are always over my side looking for trouble at my hives...and then there are those pesky robber bees from the feral colony that's nearby ;)

Personally I wouldn't advertise their presence.
We get stung/bitten by bees, wasps, hornets , horseflies, gnats, mosquitoes etc. It's what they do.
If people can't hack it , stay indoors ! ;)

Last edited:
Back