Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

Mabee 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
i’ve recently been painting my hives a colour which completely blends in the shade, quite unnoticeable in field from a distance too. i’ve just got an out apiary which is also a fenced off area within a field and was planning on putting up small signs saying ‘caution, bees at work’ and my phone number in case i’m required., I thought that would alert anyone too close just as a polite, keep out!

hemo 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6-10
Painting the colonies varies hues of the surrounding colours would be my choice (in slap dash camo effect, an ideal job for a 5/6 year old to bring out their creativity) esp any roofs that are all the same colour and can be seen on Goggle earth.

Antipodes 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Hadn’t looked at it from perspective of people getting too close before realising they are there.

You’d be aware they were there from about 10 metres away - so you wouldn’t be right up close before you realised they were there.

Definitely something to think about from when looking at keeping them less visible, really useful.
That seems ok to me. Camouflaging them, not so standard I'd say. Your public liability insurer may not be too impressed either if you did that? Anyhow, if you are planning for the hives to be there long term, it may be of comfort to fence them off with (free) long pallets held up with star droppers or something similar. If the "fence" was far enough back away from the hives it could function as both a (partial) visual screen as well as keeping people at distance.

Caz 

New Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
That seems ok to me. Camouflaging them, not so standard I'd say. Your public liability insurer may not be too impressed either if you did that? Anyhow, if you are planning for the hives to be there long term, it may be of comfort to fence them off with (free) long pallets held up with star droppers or something similar. If the "fence" was far enough back away from the hives it could function as both a (partial) visual screen as well as keeping people at distance.
By camouflaging them I just mean I don’t want them to be easily visible from a public vantage point. I don’t think is unusual? Maybe just the wording that I’ve used ?

Caz 

New Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Thanks for the plant, netting, hive painting and bow saw alternative suggestions. Some good ideas, and appreciate you sharing them.

Sutty 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives

Hachi 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
The gates locked, the bees are surrounded by a stock fence and away from public footpaths and ROW relax and enjoy your evening.

Antipodes 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
By camouflaging them I just mean I don’t want them to be easily visible from a public vantage point. I don’t think is unusual? Maybe just the wording that I’ve used ?
Sounds good. I camouflaged some hives once....you know, the actual hives themselves with paint. Wow they were hard to see and then I realised that I had done too good a job ;) Hives here are generally painted white because of the sun, so they really tend to stick out from the landscape .... people see them and know what they are. All the best with them.

Last edited:

Latest posts