Warning Rant!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well make sure you stick to the honey regs as far as labelling goes..

Yup will do, with the amount of graphic skills i have my lables are going to be the best the world has ever seen hahahaha mohahahah :drool5::sifone:

If I get to the position that I want to sell on a small scale I will adopt as I see it and the correct approach the French method.

If I get to the position that I want to sell on a small scale I will adopt as I see it and the correct approach the French method.
You mean the continental utter disregard of regulations?;)
Yes, I wonder why we brits apply EU edicts with such dogged vigour?

You mean the continental utter disregard of regulations?;)

In one way you are right we do tend to apply all regulations as though our life depends on it and at times I think that is wrong

But as a French man on a small scale I would agree to observe all the regulations regarding extraction, possessing and labelling but in realty do what works best for me at the time and at times I think that is right.

In one way you are right we do tend to apply all regulations as though our life depends on it and at times I think that is wrong

But as a French man on a small scale I would agree to observe all the regulations regarding extraction, possessing and labelling but in realty do what works best for me at the time and at times I think that is right.

Tom the Regs aren't onerous with regard food safety, the HACCP documentaation might be a bit of a pain granted. As for the labels, the legally required elements aren't long winded and protect us from a stroppy customer just as much as protecting a consumer from 'not knowingly being mis-sold' They've been around since '96 so reading a couple of pages every 14 years feels reasonable, bottling and showing it off (paid for or given away does not matter in the eyes of the law) is after all a fundamental part of our hobby and the bit that is most open to public scrutiny.

I'd almost argue that a professional label probably gives an uncertain punter the confidence to buy!

Last edited:
Here is my plan (when i get some honey ;o) Set up a stall at a carboot maybe. Take my wbc garden ornament set that up next to the stall, also take one small very cute niece age 9 in her beekeeping suit light the smoker. Job Done ;o) also take other bits of kit hive tool, suit, bee brush and educate people as well as flog them honey bee-smillie

Just done something similar at the local school fete - but instead of the WBC we had a National with some drawn frames some foundation and my son did demos of 'where the bees live'. Surprising how many people bought a jar of honey after the demo.

Almost all my "late spring" (last weekend of June) crop has now sold, all @ £5/lb. The school fete was where we launched the product (not sold any before) and we sold quite a bit, but the surprising thing is we now have people knocking on the door asking if there is any left!

I have a feeling that as beekeepers we're way behind the rest of Europe in applying EU regulations.

G.

Latest posts

Back