Wartime stories

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was asked to give someone a call about a swarm today, but by the time I was able to do so it had absconded from the empty hive it had occupied. However, the chap who owned it told me about a local beekeeper who is now deceased, but worked with his mother keeping bees from the age of five. He apparently used to tell the story that his mother sold her entire honey output to the relevant government organisation during WWII because it was claimed that if submariners had a diet high in honey they were able to tolerate longer periods under water than otherwise, meaning the submarines weren't where the German anti-submarine boats expected them to be when they were deploying depth charges.

I've no idea if there's a grain of truth in this or not, but it's a lovely tale. Anyone else heard anything similar?

James

It might have been a story in a similar vein to that of airmen eating carrots to get high levels of vitamin C to improve their night vision and increasing their success in night fighters.

Whereas the real reason the night fighters were getting better results was due to the then secret airborne radar systems.

Whereas the real reason the night fighters were getting better results was due to the then secret airborne radar systems.
Mostly developed under the guidance of a Welshman - Edward 'Taffy' Bowen from Swansea

Latest posts

Back