Warming cabinet heater.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish i didn't have to cram them in but I've a massive backlog to clear before i can get the mead in there.
but spaced out a bit they will clear quicker, I've found that unless they've set solid (in which case they get sold as set honey) a batch of jars will clear in a few hours with the temperature set to about 45 degrees

Last edited:
The tubular heaters have a bi-metallic strip (internally) which regulates the temperature. I have managed to open up the tubes and bypass the strip but not recommended unless you have an alternative thermostat fitted and know what you are doing. I would add that I scrapped the first one I tried but had nothing to loose as they were otherwise useless to me for the reasons described.
can you give instructions on how to do this, sounds great.

heating the buckets not the hive :)
thinking they will make jam but they won't. :)
the home brew people :)

Major issues with these, i fitted one, then two then three. Fine for honey warming but will not get above 50 degrees as although they say no thermostat they have an inbuilt one. This means you cannot get it up to 70 degrees - not for honey but i used the same cabinet to melt and clean wax very effectively. I therefore have three of these fitted and a light, just use light for wax melting, not found away around this welcome ideas.

These were the parts I used for my latest project which got to 80°C

Cobeky 70W 12V Heater Fan Thermostatic Egg Incubator Heater PTC Fan Heater Heating Elements Electric Heater Cobeky 70W 12V Heater Fan Thermostatic Egg Incubator Heater PTC Fan Heater Heating Elements Electric Heater : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

Inkbird ITC-106VL PID which is a 12v PID, SSR and PT100 sensor

Project box

12V 10A Power Supply,120W Power... 12V 10A Power Supply,120W Power Adapter 100-240V AC to 12V DC 10Amp 120Watt Wall Plug Transformer for LED Strip Light CCTV Camera LCD Monitors, LCD TV: Amazon.co.uk: Lighting

https://www.custompac.co.uk/boxes/5...JK2DrtI5--gtcY4LO5Mby7f6JWEF_XbRoCA8wQAvD_BwE

Get rid of the fridge and get one of these ... best thing I ever did ... takes a 30lb tub .. set the thermostat at 40 degress, 3/4 fill with water ... 4 ot 5 hours later ... runny honey - lot faster than the fridge. It will also melt wax and I've got a stock pot that fits in it perfectly.

Hi there, I know this is an old post, but I just found it while searching for honey warming advice.
I've never used anything like this, but I assume the lid doesn't need to be on for the warming, as in your picture. It's a 27L unit right?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there, I know this is an old post, but I just found it while searching for honey warming advice.
I've never used anything like this, but I assume the lid doesn't need to be on for the warming, as in your picture. It's a 27L unit right?

Thanks in advance.
Yes 27litre. Lidl have them on offer occasionally
I have two. They are brilliant.

Reactions: Rez

Thanks in advance.
I keep the lid on the bucket of honey but just ease it a bit so it's not completely sealed. My 30lb buckets will sit inside the warmer and I can still get the lid on it - keeps a bit of the heat in. They are a really good bit of kit.

That's brilliant, thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
I managed to pick one up today for £25. Unused, still in the box with plastic on and everything. Can't grumble at saving 90 quid.

Thanks for bringing this to my (our) attention.

I managed to pick one up today for £25. Unused, still in the box with plastic on and everything. Can't grumble at saving 90 quid.

Good stuff

That was a good deal ... the Home Brew fraternity use them a lot and they usually snap up any bargains .... you obviously got in quick ! Well done ... you won't regret that £25.

I keep the lid on the bucket of honey but just ease it a bit so it's not completely sealed. My 30lb buckets will sit inside the warmer and I can still get the lid on it - keeps a bit of the heat in. They are a really good bit of kit.
A couple of mods I made - A single leaf of cylinder insulation wraps around perfectly. You can use anything to cover the lid. I plugged it into a STC 1000 for more accurate temp. control.It works perfectly without these mods. but if you like messing???

That was a good deal ... the Home Brew fraternity use them a lot and they usually snap up any bargains .... you obviously got in quick ! Well done ... you won't regret that £25.
Thanks, it certainly seems like a good bit of kit from what I've seen so far.

Nothing came up on Gumtree or any of those type places, but I found one on farcebook marketplace in the end. There were quite a few on there actually, various models, but I got the Silvercrest one as shown in this thread.

[UOTE="rook66, post: 828106, member: 1584"]
A couple of mods I made - A single leaf of cylinder insulation wraps around perfectly. You can use anything to cover the lid. I plugged it into a STC 1000 for more accurate temp. control.It works perfectly without these mods. but if you like messing???
[/QUOTE]

I like the idea of insulation around the outside - anything that saves a bit of electricity is a good idea ... I'd been thinking about that for some time but, you know, you sometimes get drawn down your own rabbit hole and I forgot that there were other sorts of insulation before Kingspan and Celotex ! I'd been trying to work out how I could make a sensible insulation jacket out of Kingspan (as an inveterate skip diver I have loads) - never even thought about the simple solution of some tank insulation - Dohhhhh !!

I have one with the digital temperature display - I checked the accuracy fo the display with a brewing thermometer which I know is absolutely accurate ... and the digital display was bang on what the water temperature was inside the urn.

Regarding the Lidl kit it is excellent so be sure that you use the bottom grid as it will melt the plastic of the honey bucket, (I forgot so personal experience). Though you set the temperature at about 45C the area the elements cover do get really hot. I use mine with an Inkbird thermostat with the probe at the bottom shrouded in a piece of hose tubing. It takes heat surges out of the process and I feel prevents HMF formation in the honey,

I like the idea of insulation around the outside - anything that saves a bit of electricity is a good idea ... I'd been thinking about that for some time but, you know, you sometimes get drawn down your own rabbit hole and I forgot that there were other sorts of insulation before Kingspan and Celotex ! I'd been trying to work out how I could make a sensible insulation jacket out of Kingspan (as an inveterate skip diver I have loads) - never even thought about the simple solution of some tank insulation - Dohhhhh !!

I used a couple of layers of foam camping mat to insulate my water heater for making beer. That seems to work pretty well and may possibly be more convenient to work with.

It's also just struck me that whilst I don't do a recirculating mash I've always intended to add that and if I did so then my 80 litre mash tun would probably make quite a neat honey warmer too. It's already insulated -- it's one of those monster stainless steel stock pots used for "industrial" scale catering.

James

This is the one I have ...

https://manuals.plus/silvercrest/sead-1800-a1-electric-fruit-preserver-and-jam-maker-manual
Some of the earlier models did not have the digital temperature control ... just a dial that you could set - I don't think it's a problem but without the digital screen I think I would be inclined to check the actual water temperature against what it say on the dial.

The digital model I have is very accurate - it maintains the temperature exactly at the level indicated on the screen.

Latest posts

Back