Warm way or cold way?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone told me yesterday that warm way can be useful if you have a bad tempered hive. By not touching the frame by the entrance during inspection (it's not going to have any brood in it anyway) not all of the guard bees will be alerted to your intrusion.
Goodness - they're all rolling out now

A Master beekeeper assured me that you must change the orientation from cold to warm and visa versa every time you do the annual shook swarm... matchsticks under the crown-board were only compulsory if set to the warm way as the bees would need to ventillate the hive or chalk brood would set in.

Yeghes da

A Master beekeeper assured me that you must change the orientation from cold to warm and visa versa every time you do the annual shook swarm... matchsticks under the crown-board were only compulsory if set to the warm way as the bees would need to ventillate the hive or chalk brood would set in.

Yeghes da
OK...why? Not why were you assured but why change? Or was it a virtual shook swarm....Which, by the way, is the only kind to do unless you have EFB and then maybe not even then........IMO

A Master beekeeper assured me that you must change the orientation from cold to warm and visa versa every time you do the annual shook swarm
I have heard of a few who change their hives to warm way for the winter then back to cold way come spring so that they can keep cool during the summer heatwave :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:

Someone told me yesterday that warm way can be useful if you have a bad tempered hive. By not touching the frame by the entrance during inspection (it's not going to have any brood in it anyway) not all of the guard bees will be alerted to your intrusion. Having had a 'hive from hell' for a while, anything that keeps them calmer during inspection is worth considering. My hive from hell became sweeties, after 2 requeens.

In early summer ALL my frames have brood in them.

But then I have insulated hives.:mad:

I have come late to the middle/end of this thread and am incapable of deciding whether some posts are serious or not- apart from the clearly silly ones of course.

If they are serious, then :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

In early summer ALL my frames have brood in them.

But then I have insulated hives.:mad:
I haven't got insulated hives (apart from the roof), but the same as you, all my frames will have brood in by early summer.
Just womdering what methods the others use to ensure theirs don't

I haven't got insulated hives (apart from the roof), but the same as you, all my frames will have brood in by early summer.
Just womdering what methods the others use to ensure theirs don't
A QE? :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:

Latest posts

Back