wall cavity bees - salvage in November?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodwood

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was asked by my dentist today how to rescue a colony lodged in his tenant's cavity.
The reason for the urgency is that he has to replace the roof next week which will involve disturbing the bees.
He wants to try and save them if at all possible.
The only thing I could think of was to transfer as much as poss into a nuc/hive but grafting any salvageable wild comb, hope to get the queen, and then take to a new site.
I told him that it may be a difficult time of year to try this but he should look up his local beek association - he lives near the Pontyberem junction of end of M4.
Anyone any thoughts?
He is keen to save them if at all possible and intends starting beekeeping himself next year when he retires.
I would be grateful for any replies.
:thanks:

You would be expecting bees to make good any damage, inevitable with any transfer. That would involve a lot of bee activity to build a cosy insulated new home. Bees don't do such work in winter. Success highly unlikley i.m.o.

I was asked by my dentist today how to rescue a colony lodged in his tenant's cavity.

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Poly hive with an empty poly super under neath the brood (make sure the make of poly can do this). Then dummy the super with kingspan so there is only a single narrow slot down to the floor... Use frame feeders with fondant in the brood. Tape all the box joins on outside.

Poly hive with an empty poly super under neath the brood (make sure the make of poly can do this). Then dummy the super with kingspan so there is only a single narrow slot down to the floor... Use frame feeders with fondant in the brood. Tape all the box joins on outside.

Agree with the poly bit, but I reckon you will need to think small space and go for a polynuc, perhaps with an eke to give space for fondant.

The odds are all stacked against a good result, but better a slight chance than no chance.

Good luck with this one.

You would be expecting bees to make good any damage, inevitable with any transfer. That would involve a lot of bee activity to build a cosy insulated new home. Bees don't do such work in winter. Success highly unlikley i.m.o.

Agreed. Pretty much the worst time of the year to try this sort of thing.

bees in cavity

I know someone who got some bees out of a roof space by putting a brood box filled with drawn comb over the top of the cluster, crown board and roof left it overnight and all the bees went up into it. next dayhe took a floor put this under the BB strapped it up lowered it down the scaffold. This was four floors up a set of ladders onto a scaffolding to the top of an old house. The building had been striped out of all the copper and lead off the roof bar for this one area which contained the bees. Now the beekeeper im talking about is in his 80's so thats pretty good going climbing four floors up for a octegenarian. its worth a go, whats to be lost it may save the bees from disaster.

Dave W

I know someone who got some bees out of a roof space by putting a brood box filled with drawn comb over the top of the cluster, crown board and roof left it overnight and all the bees went up into it. next dayhe took a floor put this under the BB strapped it up lowered it down the scaffold.

So they abandoned all their existing stores and brood for empty drawn comb?

Chris

I know someone who got some bees out of a roof space by putting a brood box filled with drawn comb over the top of the cluster, crown board and roof left it overnight and all the bees went up into it.

What time of the year did he do this Dave? and how long had the bees been established in this location.

Last edited:
Did a similar cut out in late September.

The options were try or would they would be killed.

Used a bee vac to get them in and rubber bands to hold what comb I could salvage into the frames (much easier than string).

A lot of work but got the queen at second attempt, high mortality in the process but colony still alive (being fed fondant).

Make sure you watch your safety at height it can be risky especially in poor weather.

After the church roof cut out I did recently with Tonybloke and Village Girl, unless it was a very straight forward one I would not consider doing it again without the use of a bee vac. Have one on order for next season nothing special but it should work... May never get to use it but at least it will be there if needed.

Thanks everyone
Doh.....
I'm ashamed to say i scanned the post for dental puns and missed it
I know whAt this bb is like

Chris, no i havent been to the site as its aboutn50 miles away from my location.

Last edited:
You will need to move fast.

I did a cut out last February on a colony exposed when an old tree was blown over.

The trick is to get the queen before she scarpers into a crevice.

On a cold day, you at least have a sporting chance. Move fast, use a big knife and cut the comb out and get into a hive while most of the bees are still waking up. If you have got the queen the remainder will follow her once they have worked out where she is.

But, just how you manage to do that in a roof space is going to be the tricky bit!

Good luck - I ended up with a lovely big Italian queen and some lovely bees.

I did a cut out last February on a colony exposed when an old tree was blown over.

Which gives the bees a good chance.

I always try to get people to wait until Feb / March if possible which is to my mind the best time of year to do it. Bee population at its lowest point, honey at its lowest point and pollen / nectar available for the spring build up.

Chris

Back