VSH Testing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And you think calling someone an arsehole will encourage more to post?

In my humble opinion he's just an arsehole. Put him on blocke.

Have a nice day.
Do you think your use of gutter language appropriate and is the right approach to encourage people to post?

Congratulations Beefriendly, you've almost ruined an otherwise interesting and informative thread.
Please stop it.

An apt reply Finman, given the original posting was about B+ finding varroa pooh.
Alas the thread is now ruined by all the off topic trolling mails.

An apt reply Finman, given the original posting was about B+ finding varroa pooh.
Alas the thread is now ruined by all the off topic trolling mails.

You are kidding... You just select proper truths and let the rest be. So do an adult Person. Sweep your tears..

Welsh beekeepers have not when joined to the threath. Save your cry to when they arrive.

In my humble opinion he's just an arsehole. Put him on block.

It's sad that this kind of behaviour does impact whether people post on here.

So if i asked a question and got a Riddle me this answer (joker Batman) then i delved deeper to try and get the riddled answer clarified i would also be an Arshole .. ?

I think finman is referring to his good friends hoppy and jbm.

The original post is interesting in several ways. Why would varroa scat be found in cells that do not contain mites?

I'll propose two possible answers and see if anyone wants to delve into them.

1. A mite entered a cell with larva, fed, then either went back phoretic on an adult bee or else moved to another larval cell to feed and or reproduce.

2. A mite entered a cell, fed, then the bees removed the mite.

I find the second possibility very intriguing. Is it possible that VSH bees are actually removing the mite? Does the age of larva found with mite scat match nearby cells indicating the larva was removed and another egg laid at a later date? I've speculated a few times that some bees remove mites from larval cells before they are sealed. If they do, this would suggest another important trait for breeding work. Maybe mite counting should include number of cells with scat but no mite.

I find the second possibility very intriguing.

Is it possible that VSH bees are actually removing the mite? Does the age of larva found with mite scat match nearby cells indicating the larva was removed and another egg laid at a later date? I've speculated a few times that some bees remove mites from larval cells before they are sealed. If they do, this would suggest another important trait for breeding work. Maybe mite counting should include number of cells with scat but no mite.

we have to test your speculations. Nothing else helps.

So if i asked a question and got a Riddle me this answer (joker Batman) then i delved deeper to try and get the riddled answer clarified i would also be an Arshole .. ?

He asked a question about whether vsh traits could be retained in open mating and got this answer.

"Absolutely. Any trait will diminish if you do nothing to preserve it. Its the same as any other livestock. "

Along with an explanation,. He went on to be incorrectly pedantic about the ability of bulls to mate naturally. Yes they can but in farming they do t often do these days. From there he played the pedant over what "breeding" entails
From there to criticising B+ for not being involved with the Buckfast vsh group and not giving privileged information on a public forum.
He's been digging for a fight not an answer.
So in answer to your question, that would rather depend on your manner.

I think finman is referring to his good friends hoppy and jbm.

The original post is interesting in several ways. Why would varroa scat be found in cells that do not contain mites?

I'll propose two possible answers and see if anyone wants to delve into them.

1. A mite entered a cell with larva, fed, then either went back phoretic on an adult bee or else moved to another larval cell to feed and or reproduce.

2. A mite entered a cell, fed, then the bees removed the mite.

I find the second possibility very intriguing. Is it possible that VSH bees are actually removing the mite? Does the age of larva found with mite scat match nearby cells indicating the larva was removed and another egg laid at a later date? I've speculated a few times that some bees remove mites from larval cells before they are sealed. If they do, this would suggest another important trait for breeding work. Maybe mite counting should include number of cells with scat but no mite.

You seem to make sense and i can understand what you write/type

He asked a question about whether vsh traits could be retained in open mating and got this answer.

"Absolutely. Any trait will diminish if you do nothing to preserve it. Its the same as any other livestock. "

Along with an explanation,. He went on to be incorrectly pedantic about the ability of bulls to mate naturally. Yes they can but in farming they do t often do these days. From there he played the pedant over what "breeding" entails
From there to criticising B+ for not being involved with the Buckfast vsh group and not giving privileged information on a public forum.
So in answer to your question, that would rather depend on your manner.

Sorry but i find that reply a waste of your finger skin time.

If you look at the Buckfast single drone insemination process they have some quite good definitions of how they assess for VSH. It's nothing like the assay B+ describes. I'll leave it for others to determine which is the more accurate method.
They are looking for cells which contain at least one daughter as well as the amount of non-reproducing (NR) mites (foundress mites which are dead, have only just eggs or a male) and determined the percentage of NonReproducing (% NR) mites. Knowing a mite has been in cell is not of much use in determined the percentage of NR mites.
USDA has shown that the % NR measured is predictive for the level of VSH. For these measurements only infested cells with one foundress mite are used because it is very difficult to score infested cells which can contain both reproducing as well as non-reproducing foundress mites, i.e one with 2 founder mites as you might get with high varroa levels and competition for cells.

Last edited:

What absolute bullocks. I'd just like to know some answers. But don't let it spoil you having a little :troll: at my expense.
Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back