Vortex Bee Escape Board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrB

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Had some time to spare this afternoon so knocked up a clearer board. :smash::smash::smash:
It is Roger pattersons square version.
I didn't have a hole cutter so had to chew it out :smilielol5: hence the not very round shape!
just needs covering with mesh and treating, then ready for the test run!

Last edited:
That looks great. I wish I'd had something similar last weekend - they really don't like being brushed off...

What thickness of plywood did you use for the main part of the board?

Thanks - I have some 6mm left over from some other long since forgotten project, so maybe I can avoid some of the unpleasantness next weekend (assuming I pull my finger out and get something made up before then).

Nice work.
Do you do jigsaws as well?:boxing_smiley:

I assume from your photo that the mesh fits flush up against the maze and then tucks around the sides?

Do you then cut out the slots in the mesh and outside frame where the bees exits are?

Would also be nice to hear how it performed ;)

I assume from your photo that the mesh fits flush up against the maze and then tucks around the sides?

It fits flush on top of the maze but does not tuck around the sides, just a flat piece of mesh (the size of maze and mesh is such that i can cut 4 pieces from one sheet of national OMF size mesh)

Would also be nice to hear how it performed ;)

i used it last week for the first time to clear a super down before moving a hive, after 3 1/2 to 4 hours there were just about 10 or so bee's left.

I also made one of these after seeing the photos. Very impressed with how quick they clear, within a few hours - SORTED!!!

I'll have to try one as bee quick is expensive, and the bees tend to go for a walk outside when it is used ;)

I made a similar one, but using 18X6mm strip. Just used it and it cleared a super in the advertised 2 hours. Very impressed and quite a nice little project.

As I've just posted elsewhere, I made one of the square vortex designs this year and it worked very well. I shall definitely be making more up for next year.

James

two questions,
1) what are the channel dimensions - i.e. the width of the routes the bees have to take
2) can this be used to clear up - i.e. if i cut a hole in the floor where there is a a feral colony in the floor space can I use this to clear up into a brood box - leaving just drones and the queen below to allow for easier removal?

thanks

Lee

you will probably find a cut out easier when you do it than you think.

carried out the cut out today - It seemed fairly easy - bees were docile to the extent I thought there was something wrong with them - however there was tons of comb - I made up 5 frames using a variety of sealed brood, open brood, honey & pollen

I left the brood box adjacent to the cleared colony as there were still a fair few bees out of reach on the underside of the floor. I fitted a small ramp and a few of the bees were getting the message and going up the ramp

I will see how I have got on when I get back to work tomorrow!

Latest posts

Back