Very Dark Comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidharradine

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
There's some very very dark brown brood comb in my hive (overwintered from a new colony last year). Does this just mean it's old? Does it matter that it's so dark? Does it maybe need replacing?

no it's absolutely fine, it goes dark from the debris left from the young

David,

Xwb is right; as time goes by comb does get darker due to the old debris from previous brood cycles.

The problem with this is that, as more and more debris is left in the cells, the cells do get smaller. This means that, in some cases, the cells are too small for HM to lay in - then she runs out of space and swarms...

However, some old beeks claim still to use 20 year old comb - so it doesn't seem to be a problem every time.

Ben P

I agree with the above but i personally would try to gradually move it towards the outside walls of the box and replace it.

I replace my combs whenever i see that they are two dark to use, which is about every two years or so.

Dark comb (which is older and basically full of c***) harbours more pathogens and should really be changed. My rule of thumb which I read somewhere is that you should still be able to see light through it. Just move it to the edges over the season and change when you are ready.
It can be worth keeping for bait hive purposes.
Cazza

If it got too small for use and there were no other alternative the bees would reduce it to the septum and rebuild the cells.

That is not the primary reason for changing brood wax. Either build up of injurious chemicals or disease pathogens are both far more important reasons for regular comb changes.

That may be one reason why Warre hives can go through the season without too much trouble, and so with much less inspection/interference from the beekeeper.

RAB

Latest posts

Back