Veil Jacket & Smoker required fast....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Man

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi to all, I am new here and to beekeeping and have a colony on route to me early next week that I ordered a while ago. The source I had hoped would supply me what equipment I need hasn't come through, can anyone tip me of somewhere in South Manchester or nearby where I can purchase a Veil, Jacket & Smoker a.s.a.p please, new is ideal but would consider second hand. I am not keen on ordering mail order and relying on something turning up whenever some kind of mailman/courier fancies delivering them whilst my bees sit stressed in their transport box.
any help on this issue is much appreciated, thanks in advance.
bee-smillie

Order from who ever and meanwhile borrow one off Manchester beekeepers .
Google them . this site strips urls automatically :confused:

John Wilkinson

thanks for your input John , I will order online and if they do not arrive in time I will keep my fingers crossed for a borrow.

You can open a nuc box without a veil or smoker. Depending on the type, you'll either need to move a wooden block, or cut a mesh. Just put the box in the right place, open the mesh/block and walk away. Make sure the bees are flying, they don't need to be hived immediately.

ok Rae so if in that situation I should just put the Queen in situ and have the box open alongside and leave it to them to settle in yes?

Hi wildman,
I think rae means lierally put he nuc box where it is to stay, open the entrance and walk away. If it is a nuc then the queen will be in the box with the other bees.

i have to admit... now im confused...where the nuc box is to stay? surely your not suggesting I need to do nothing?...... haha. So how do I ensure they dont all just fly away rather than settle in my hive?

Depends who you are getting the nuc from. Check with the vendor.

Some options:

Queen in nuc, no cage - open access slot, walk away.

Queen in nuc + cage, cage plugged with fondant - open access slot, walk away. Check in a few days that she has been released.

Queen in nuc + cage, cage plugged with plastic. Unlikely, you will need to open them up properly to remove the plastic.

You are very unlikely to get a nuc + queen in separate packages - indeed, if you were sold a nuc and you get this...I would complain.

Edit - seeing later posts, I will clarify.

If you have bought a nuc, it will probably turn up in a correx box. It will have 5 frames in it, and effectively be a mini hive. The bees will be quite happy flying from the nuc for several days - indeed, you could leave them for a week or so. As long as you put the nuc where your hive is going to go, all you need do is (when you have your veil and smoker)

1) Move the nuc box to one side.
2) Assemble the hive.
3) Have the brood box partially filled with foundation (5 frames missing). If the weather is dodgy (i.e. cold), you should pack the edges of the brood box with insulation, and only put 7 frames in - the 5 from the nuc and one spare on each side. Given that it is summer (even in Manchester).... you can probably get away with using all foundation.
4) Take the nuc frames out of the nuc box and put them carefully in the centre of the hive brood box. Most of the bees are now in the hive
5) Shake the remaining bees out of the correx box and into the hive.
6) Put crownboard on + roof and walk away. Make sure the entrance block is open and that they are flying.

Last edited:
place the travelling box on the roof of your hive, open the entrance, the bees can live in there until you get your kit, then you'll be able to hive the bees. Just make sure you put the nuc box on the roof of the hive, or take the hive away and place it there

hmmm I think I need to go and do some homework before it goes pear shaped, thanks

i have to admit... now im confused...where the nuc box is to stay? surely your not suggesting I need to do nothing?...... haha. So how do I ensure they dont all just fly away rather than settle in my hive?

Can I ask,
have you got any experience keeping bees Wild Man?

Just put the nuc where you are going to site the bees,leave them locked in for the first few hours,for them to settle down from being bumped around from transporting them,In the evening open up the entrance.when they come out they will orientate themselves to there new surroundings.When ready put into a Brood box.

Failing to plan is planning to fail?

hmmm I think I need to go and do some homework before it goes pear shaped, thanks
Have you been on any practical or theory courses, got a mentor, read any beek books, been to your local association to see whether beekeeping is for you?

Me thinks "It seemed like a good idea at the time!"

Find a bee buddy quick that can see your bees through till your able to look after them yourself.

Welcome Wildman,

Seems all to be happening in a bit of a last minute rush. It seems like you have little understanding of bees and beekeeping. We have all been there.

However bees are wild animals and we just try to domesticate them ( to a degree), as such I consider that I have a duty of care to my bees. I try not to do them any harm, but as I am only in my second year, all too often make mistakes, but none intentionally.

This forum has helped me out no end, but I had to do some of the work myself.

Before I got my bees I made sure that I had all the equipment I thought I would need ( and still forgot some). I got a good beekeeping book ( use the search facility for threads on here). I then joined my local beekeeping association and went on their theory and practical course, and after that was given a nucleus free from the course tutor.

However your bees are coming soon, and you are not ready. As above I suggest you contact your local BKA. You may well be offered loans of equipment. Someone may well offer to come and help you install your bees, and may offer ongoing support.

Even a 5 frame nucleus when opened can be overwhelming the first time, when you are suddenly immersed in a cloud of angry buzzing bees.

Last year was full of joy and wonder, with the bees letting me share their world - and loads of panic ( see I was not as prepared as I thought I was). This year the pleasure has increased and the panic decreased.

I can still often be in the middle of an inspection, and meet a situation which I do not know how to resolve - but now I can think it through, or close up the hive and go and seek advice, then take the action suggested.

In all I have learned to be prepared. I now never open up a hive without asking myself why I am opening it, and what do I intend to do.

That was not intended as a sermon, but hopefully advice so that you can get the most enjoyment out of a wonderful hobby.

Have fun.

5 or 6 p's spring to mind. Wildman, I would recommend that you do some reading - fast. Possibly your best investment at the moment would be Ted Hooper's book 'Guide to Bees and Honey'. If I were in your situation, I would seek a good mentor and borrow some kit.

If only bees were the size of tigers.

hmm

Have you been on any practical or theory courses, got a mentor, read any beek books, been to your local association to see whether beekeeping is for you?

i see this forum isnt exempt from stupid remarks then. bee-smillie

get real is all i can say , your insulting.

Back