VAT on equipment - letters?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alldigging

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
P9 of the BBKA News Jan 2017

Are there copies of the letters (To ask for bee equipment to be zero rated VAT) we could be sending to our MPs about this anywhere yet?

P9 of the BBKA News Jan 2017

Are there copies of the letters (To ask for bee equipment to be zero rated VAT) we could be sending to our MPs about this anywhere yet?

I wrote to my MP Sherryll Murray some time back... she did reply with.. ( paraphrased)

the question of the possibility of no VAT on beekeeping equipment is that it is ahobby in the majority of cases and it was possible for beekeepers to register for VAT* if it was their business and claim back VAT.
There are no plans to make any changes to this in the coming future...

. ( *And of course write a nice big cheque to HMRC on the massive profits that they make.)

I wonder if the legislation is changed then perhaps we could claim VAT back on our other hobbies too?

Nadelik lowen

Ask Boris,

We may se a change in VAT rates with Brexit?

<10% for UK derived/built?
>25% for European??

VAT isn't a tax on profits. Its a transaction tax.

Quote taken out of context?

When VAT was removed from disability / safety equipment that we manufactured our turnover increased tenfold as members of the public could purchase without the value added taxation..... and the few extra pounds not added to the items seemed to make them more affordable.
Due to our increased sales the profitability went up, on which we then paid Corporation Tax.. so HMRC had the money one way or another!
( Plus more National Insurance ... individual tax etc etc...

Guess the same thing would happen to zero rating on Beehives ?
Yeghes da

Why should beekeepers think they are so different from anyone else. A hobby that makes you money is not exactly a hobby but a business. Personally another bad idea coming from the BBKA

A hobby that makes you money is not exactly a hobby but a business.

I don't disagree with you. I just wonder how many of these enterprises include all of their costs (e.g. vehicle costs, beekeeper time, etc) and how many people are fooling themselves into believing their activities are profitable.

I don't disagree with you. I just wonder how many of these enterprises include all of their costs (e.g. vehicle costs, beekeeper time, etc) and how many people are fooling themselves into believing their activities are profitable.

:iagree: and most will never know unless they have a beekeeping account separate from their current account or at least a beekeeping funds jar

Beekeeper time is not really a cost unless hiring. The way Beekeepers should look at it is, total in/out to hours spent working. This would give £ per hour - +

:iagree: and most will never know unless they have a beekeeping account separate from their current account or at least a beekeeping funds jar

I keep a good set of beekeeping accounts so I know exactly how much I'm not making each year ;)

Beekeeper time is not really a cost unless hiring. The way Beekeepers should look at it is, total in/out to hours spent working. This would give £ per hour - +

If you were running this as a business, you would have to include the cost of your time. You would expect to receive a salary from the business, I presume?

I'm still scratching my head why the BBKA would ever dream about VAT free for hobby Beekeepers when what they should do is a plan where new Beekeeper's under 18 should get everything free, invest in our future not some old timers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

All I'm saying is Time is not a expense , as when I fill in tax return Mr tax man never ask me how many hours I worked lol, He just interested in out going and Income. He don't bloody care I work my guts out haha

when what they should do is a plan where new Beekeeper's under 18 should get everything free, invest in our future not some old timers.

Can you not see the possible abuse of this for any beekeeper with kids under 18? Be worse than politicians expense accounts :)

Now if some of that UK allocated EU bee money filtered down to beekeepers in say the form of grants (as it does in many other EC countries) we might find a bit of subsidy for our hobby.

It would have o be managed properly, kids will have to do basic training and vouchers given to acquire equipment, photo ID, there are ways

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This issue of campaigning to reduce VAT on beekeeping equipment was raised again at the Annual Delegates meeting last week.

However, given that it took years for those campaigning on behalf of half the UK's entire population to get sanitary products zero rated, and it's still not happened (requires now pointless lobbying of the EU), the chances of beekeepers doing this is fairly remote...

to get the UK government to

Latest posts

Back