VAT on equipment - letters?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This issue of campaigning to reduce VAT on beekeeping equipment was raised again at the Annual Delegates meeting last week.

More evidence of how far removed from reality the BBKA management really are ... What a waste of time - or possibly just a destraction tactic for the real issues that the BBKA should be discussing.

Where can there be ANY justification or even any previous precedent for beekeepers to be given VAT exempt status ? Much as I would like to reduce the cost of my beekeeping I would feel a cheat taking 20% off bee stuff when there are families living on the breadline that have to pay VAT on electricity and gas or the myriad of other 'essentials' that attract VAT.

The issue was original proposed by the Devon BKA who are to do lead in following it up.
Part of the basis for asking for this is that we as beekeepers are providing a very valuable national pollination service free of charge (in most cases) and perhaps that could be recognized by Parliament.

If anyone one wants to lobby their MP (ooer missus) you need to contact Colin Sherwood of Devon BKA who has letters templates that you can use.

It would have o be managed properly, kids will have to do basic training and vouchers given to acquire equipment, photo ID, there are ways
/QUOTE]
Yes, there are. Who would run it though? The BBKA is the obvious answer but does one trust the trustees with large amounts of cash.

The HMRC allows certain beekeepers to register for VAT even if they are below the turnover threshold. A subsidy for the pollinator services*** they provide and for food production as with many other micro businesses and smallholders / farmers.

I believe that the Beefarmers have a system up and running to provide growers with pollination services and VAT is charged and reclaimed on this system.

Yeghes da

Any size business can go vat registered if they choose was my thoughts.

Any size business can go vat registered if they choose was my thoughts.

Expect a very close examination by HMRC of your accounts for the previous (three at least) tax years on application to register for VAT.
You do not have to engage a professional accountant.
Best to be honest... particularly with yourself!!

The OP was to write to your MP to lobby for VAT to be removed from the cost of beekeeping equipment as we supply a free pollinator service to the country.
I did and the reply was no.

Yeghes da

So, let's have a look at some of the "Hobbies" followed in my family;

• I like to indulge in DIY, can I reclaim VAT spent on my latest circular saw?

• My wife's hobby is Birdwatching, Can she reclaim VAT spent on petrol to the coast & B&B when we get there?

• My Daughters hobby appears to be mobile phone apps! Can she reclaim VAT on her latest Smart Phone?

:facts:
Probably Not

Expect a very close examination by HMRC of your accounts for the previous (three at least) tax years on application to register for VAT.

Newly registered companies can register for vat. You don't need a track record to show past performance.

There seems to be a lot of confusion going around. There is a legal requirement to register for VAT in the month that you predict you will exceed the threshold. HMRC will register you from the start of that month. However, you can voluntarily register at any time. You are, after all, performing a tax collection/administration function on behalf of HMRC

Sorry Mr. Hoppit but that is not quite correct. You can do the registration on line and no need for any previous years accounts. However, as you can initially back date your VAT claimed for three years prior to date of registering it's a good idea to have them. I suspect that's what you are thinking of, as HMRC doesn't tend to examine them...unless there is something odd about your claim.
I'm VAT registered so have some knowledge of the process. In fact I sacked my accountant who told me I was too small a business to register for VAT!

Mrs May has a new small business start up scheme coming shortly, haven't got a clue how much funding you are able to get but worth a look when it arrives

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry Mr. Hoppit but that is not quite correct. You can do the registration on line and no need for any previous years accounts for registration. However, as you can initially back date your VAT claimed for three years prior to date of registering it's a good idea to have them handy shortly after they accept your application. I suspect that's what you are thinking of, as HMRC doesn't tend to examine your accounts..unless there is something odd about your claim.
I'm VAT registered so have some knowledge of the process, having registered about 3 years ago.
If your main business is beekeeping (pollination services etc) then you can voluntary register same as any business.
In my case the VAT registration is for a different business, not beekeeping,that is still a hobby!

Sorry Pargyle, wrong again about the BBKA "management". We are an Association of Associations, and at the Annual Delegates Meeting one of our county Associations (Devon I think) raised a motion from their members regarding VAT. At the ADM any properly raised motion has to be discussed and voted on - its called democracy...

Sorry Pargyle, wrong again about the BBKA "management". We are an Association of Associations, and at the Annual Delegates Meeting one of our county Associations (Devon I think) raised a motion from their members regarding VAT. At the ADM any properly raised motion has to be discussed and voted on - its called democracy...

Well, if Hampshire BKA is anything to go by there's as much wrong with the County Associations as there is with the BBKA ....

Well, if Hampshire BKA is anything to go by there's as much wrong with the County Associations as there is with the BBKA ....

I don't think you can stop that story short!

Back