Varrox wand on polyhives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
am looking to shift from apiguard and OA trickle and have a mixture of wooden hives but also 10ish abelo poly hives

is it ok to use a varrox wand in abelos if careful....presume it is a melting risk rather than a vapour risk....

I used a varrox for a few of years. The first time I did it through the entrance I scorched a couple of frames in the middle. Didn’t discover till first inspection.
So thereafter I did it under the OMF from the back.

I have a sublimox. I’d have bought an InstantVap at the show if stan hadn’t been with me.
You do need Decent PPE. I have managed with a half face mask but I lose very little vapour

I use an eke, with a hole in one side, and perspex cover to use a varrox on all my hives, including poly. No problem
Can you post a picture please, how do you stabilise the OA container end and stop it falling onto the frame’s?

Sorry. Moving house in 2 days and all gear packed away. The weight of the eke and snug fit of the access notch hold the wand. If worried by it sitting on top of frames, which I am not, a piece of plumbers asbestos matting could be used

Sorry. Moving house in 2 days and all gear packed away. The weight of the eke and snug fit of the access notch hold the wand. If worried by it sitting on top of frames, which I am not, a piece of plumbers asbestos matting could be used
Thanks for your reply especially at a time when you must be really busy with your move.
Hope everything goes smoothly with your relocation.
👍

I used a varrox for a few of years. The first time I did it through the entrance I scorched a couple of frames in the middle. Didn’t discover till first inspection.
So thereafter I did it under the OMF from the back.
:iagree: Many of my frames are plastic (see pic of an unblemished one) and on first inspection after using the Varrox I found the bottom bars of two frames totally melted!

Attachments

• IMG_0811.jpeg
    IMG_0811.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Back