Varroa Vapouriser

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just some comments.

It would appear that Oxalic acid is more dangerous to beekeepers than bees!

I used to work for a company that sold it by the tonne. It is used in 'traffic film removers' used to get the iron oxide brake dust off the outside of railway carriages. Yes, it is irritant and corrosive. Avoid breathing fumes or spray and do not get it on your skin or eyes. But no big deal, worse than acetic acid, not as bad as formic IMHO.

Bees generate formic and oxalic acids as part of their normal metabolism. Oxalic acid is a natural ingredient of honey and this is why the regulatory authorities have been relatively relaxed about it's use.

A lot of eight legged beasties ( ie spiders and mites) do not have as tough and impermeable a cuticle as insects. That is why you see spiders come out when the central heating is turned on, they are dying of thirst and desperately looking for water.

AFAIK nobody seems too sure why Oxalic acid screws up varroa. Judging by the accounts it gets them where they are delicate - mouthparts and breathing (varroa has a weird breathing tube that sounds rather vulnerable).

So it makes a lot of sense to use an acid that bees can tolerate and varroa cannot using the safest method for the beekeeper.

Me - I am going to use sugar syrup when it gets a bit warmer. But if I still have a problem in the spring I will use one of those vapourisers based on diesel glo plugs - with a nice long cable leading crosswind!

http://www.members.shaw.ca/orioleln/Vaporizer.htm

chrismcd,

with a nice long cable leading crosswind!

If you have plenty of time and do not wish to wear a face mask (not really recommended), you really only need shortish wires (they need to have a large cross section for the current required) and some means of isolating the current after the normal time. A long string to one of the crocidile clips on the battery is one simple alternative.

I prefered to remove the evaporator after sublimation (although mine had quite a low thermal capacity), to get it cooled and ready for the next colony so I used to use my respirator, just in case, as fumes could escape between removal and blocking the entrance. It can also be surprising where the fumes can leak from if the hive has been opened after the bees have clustered.

Regards, RAB

Sorry my humour was lost on you regarding 'hubble bubble' pipe, and nice link, shame it doesnt work and why I didnt include it!

It is a shame that link doesn't work, but then I you should be able to search on the net yourself from that information.
Finman posted up links that he wasn't sure if they all worked, but if I come across any that don't, I'll try and find the information some other way, it's not hard.

If you had found that information why were you still thinking "fuming bees" was worse that feeding them oxalic acid?

Your humour wasn't lost, I was just pointing out I don't use any pipe based contraption. Quite simple really.

Last edited:
Me - I am going to use sugar syrup when it gets a bit warmer. But if I still have a problem in the spring I will use one of those vapourisers based on diesel glo plugs - with a nice long cable leading crosswind!

http://www.members.shaw.ca/orioleln/Vaporizer.htm

Heilyser JB200 better than 'tother by a mile. In fact very similar to the Varrox vaporiser I use (available from Th....es) but much, much cheaper - see http://www.members.shaw.ca/orioleln/order_online.htm and the exchange rate is moving favour of the import too.

Incidentally, best used late Dec/early Jan BEFORE spring build-up.

Show me some where trickling has been done correctly.
As far as I know it is the most friendly varroa killer what I have met.

Greetings,
if you don't have dead bees in front of the hive, you don't have many dead varroa in the hive by trickling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Show me some where trickling has been done correctly.
As far as I know it is the most friendly varroa killer what I have met.

Greetings,
if you don't have dead bees in front of the hive, you don't have many dead varroa in the hive by trickling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HÖH HÖH. Dead bees are in front of hives even if you don't trickle them.

I love so much one hive owners........:cheers2:

price for varrocleaner is 30€
price for varrojet is 15€

price for varrocleaner is 30€
price for varrojet is 15€

These are very cheap compared to Varrox or Heilyser evapoators. For anybody that might be interested, the company doesn't sell it singularly. They are from Serbia and it is available in Belgrade if you fancy the trip. However, they have distributors in the EU at www.lyson.com.pl and www.eurohonig.com

Latest posts

Back