Varroa treatment survey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oxalic acid on towels from few weeks ago, as in previous years.
As your bees are food producers, this is illegal. You should only use products approved and registered, and you need to keep records. See BeeBase.

Over the last two years I have used Apiguard, MAQS, Biooxal, VarroMed and ApiLife Var, all only when the varroa mite drop indicated a need. My favourite is VarroMed - not smelly, easy to use, degrades quickly. I share a 550 ml bottle with another beekeeper.

Apilife Var every year August/September.

Stopped using oxalic acid in addition in the winter a few years ago.

Used MAQS one year. Never again. Killed off all our queens.

It's been the most confusing decision we have had to make, had two hives late this year and agonised over Apiguard, oxalic, Apivar or MAQS. Asked advice of lots of Beeks finally decided on Apiguard.Hives are light so had to feed the same time, again some said definitely don't feed, others said feed so we have fed!!!! Had sleepless nights over it as id be devastated if we can't get them through winter.

OA by sublimation starting tomorrow every five days for at least three rounds.
I then try get another OA before winter solstice, so most likely around the weekend of 12 -13th December. I see a few treating after Christmas or January, this may be too late to be effective.

It's been the most confusing decision we have had to make, had two hives late this year and agonised over Apiguard, oxalic, Apivar or MAQS. Asked advice of lots of Beeks finally decided on Apiguard.Hives are light so had to feed the same time, again some said definitely don't feed, others said feed so we have fed!!!! Had sleepless nights over it as id be devastated if we can't get them through winter.
Vita say it's OK to feed so you can sleep more easily ;)

Oxalic acid on towels from few weeks ago, as in previous years.

Never heard of that or know it by another name. Details please? Thanks

Last edited:
I did read Randys report last week, there is an quite a few colones where it the infestation level is still too high even after treatment IMO.

Did you read this summary?:
".....achieving 98% efficacy in preventing mite counts from building up during the honey flow makes us very happy. And this for a treatment that is very safe to handle, takes seconds to apply, and does not contaminate the honey or beeswax."

If you can beat this with another method then please tell.

Last edited:
Last edited:
So many problems with chemicals, so why bother? sugar powder or natural resistance. Chemicals shouldn’t be used on animals for anything!
Sugar powder is a chemical.
It kills open brood if you are dusting every frame weekly which is what you have to do to have any impact on varroa.
My dog has arthritis and gets chemicals to ease his pain. I think he might disagree with you.

Sugar powder is a chemical.
It kills open brood if you are dusting every frame weekly which is what you have to do to have any impact on varroa.
And by any impact, it means very little.
Killing with kindness (or should that be ignorance?)

Latest posts

Back