varroa floors

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
put chock under the back legs so the condensation runs to the front

skyhook

finally, after all these years of debate, you've identified the solution!

:)

bees

(However, during freezing nights in mid winter, I still put matchsticks in the corner of my glazed crown boards to prevent condensation drips!)

in Finland we use to shut windows when it is cold out there.

Glazed crown board!
What heck you do with that! Grazy man.
Those are children's toys.

Those are children's toys

Yes, it's called 'marketing'....and provides over half my sales!

Glazed crown board!
What heck you do with that! Grazy man.
Those are children's toys.

Knock, knock.

Who's there?

Ah, good evening sir,
I represent a company that's installing double-glazed crown boards in your area.
I'm wondering if we can offer you a quote?
We have a special offer.....
You buy one - you get one free!
Now, just sign here or I'll never leave your house.

Dusty

The basic idea in bee box is that it gives a warm interrior to the honey bee colony.
So their stores stays longer and bees survive 9 months with 25 kg food.

With match sticks warm leaks off and food store will be consumed in couple of months.

Condensation happens in the coldest part of hive. You arrange it above the cluster and you are warned, then you just keep that inproper material. Then you go to peep during all winter, are they alive, are they alive , are they alive.

Well. Just carry on. No one can help.

It is like glass hive inside house during winter. Hive will die but but but

Has anyone tried a double glazed unit as a crown board?

yes. Double mads. They are rare in beekeeping . But I wonder glass in the hive and more double window. In finland we use 3 glasses in thermal windows.

yes. Double mads. They are rare in beekeeping . But I wonder glass in the hive and more double window. In finland we use 3 glasses in thermal windows.

If you use a hive that is very very well insulated and designed, you can use a single sealed plastic window as the bees can recover the temperature after you cover them up without difficulty. But I stress this must be a hive where the heat requirement, with the lid on for in hive temp of 18C+, is well below the 20W the bees can generate.

Latest posts

Back