Vaping Intervals

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Vaped 4 days ago. A one-off winter vape has historically been enough. However, the fall of Varroa on this occasion is unusually heavy, and I am considering re-vaping. I note that many members practice multiple vaping’s with varying intervals (5/7/10 days). Question: What is the suggested inter-vape time span for optimum impact?

i'm in the same boat. i dont normally use monitoring boards (i know i probably should) but i have this year and my drop seems high. >50 on most hives. I cant really vape during the week. Would 3 x 7 day intervals be worth doing?

Anyone recommend where you can buy this correx board or whatever its called to use as monitoring boards please?

Everyone I know, "acquires" it but if I tried that I would get caught......

Interesting that the SPC and product label for Api-Bioxal states only one sublimation treatment per annum and that a significant increase in bee mortality can be expected with double vaping:

https://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/ProductInformationDatabase/SPC_Documents/SPC_807534.DOC

Given the recommendation for multiple vaping posted on here are the concerns expressed in the product information sheet on overdosing born out in practice?

Given the recommendation for multiple vaping posted on here are the concerns expressed in the product information sheet on overdosing born out in practice?

No idea what the glucose might do... burning/sublimating glucose in hives could be harmful, have they done any research?

Oxalic vaporized is very gentle on the bees, more so than trickling.

Does vaporization hurt the bees?

Radetzki didn’t note increased bee mortality after winter treatment. Heinz Kaemmerer of Heilyser Technology Ltd. says: “We treated several colonies for 3 months during winter, once a week with the vaporizer and all colonies survived.” “With brood, colonies can be treated with the right amount of OA 3 to 4 times, a week apart; there is no harm to bees, queen or brood.” Medhat Nasr confirms that vaporized oxalic is very gentle to the bees.

Vaporisation of oxalic acid in a field trials with 1'509 colonies

https://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/files/__www.mellifera.de_engl2.pdf

Sussex uni research also found much the same regards any harm to bees, and after almost 20 years of using it most beekeepers have found the same, or they wouldn't be using it.

Last edited:
Anyone recommend where you can buy this correx board or whatever its called to use as monitoring boards please?

Political signage boards and estate agents boards are often made from it. Or you can buy it already cut to size.

Ebay and Amazon or I've seen it for sale in my local Homebase before although it was expensive. Possibly a local craft shop, the Range is another possibility if you have one nearby.

Vaped 4 days ago. A one-off winter vape has historically been enough. However, the fall of Varroa on this occasion is unusually heavy, and I am considering re-vaping. I note that many members practice multiple vaping’s with varying intervals (5/7/10 days). Question: What is the suggested inter-vape time span for optimum impact?
In the past i have done one winter treatment in late December...however like you this year three colonies and one Nuc dropped more varroa than i would have liked to see..all these colonies got three Vapes five days apart which has got the mite drop to zero for now..another three colonies only required a single Vape..

I have just completed 1 x3 every 5 days. Mite drops were 20/day now c 5.. So approx 200+ mites killed/

I assume with the mild weather there is brood in most hives: Certainly my poly hive has 3 combs of it to judge from the cappings...

Correx 5 sheets 4mm 8'x4' black or white delivered for about £50 from eBay. Too many for one person, but a useful group purchase.

No idea what the glucose might do...

I do and it's not good. Caramelising glucose risks production of furfural.

burning/sublimating glucose in hives could be harmful, have they done any research?

Furfural is known to be toxic to honeybees.

Oxalic vaporized is very gentle on the bees, more so than trickling.

https://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/files/__www.mellifera.de_engl2.pdf

Sussex uni research also found much the same regards any harm to bees, and after almost 20 years of using it most beekeepers have found the same, or they wouldn't be using it.

Presumably not using Api-Bioxal!

Furfural is known to be toxic to honeybees.!

There is the answer then, they have contaminated perfectly good oxalic acid to call it ApiBioxal, a product which is toxic to bees... and make lots of money by doing it.

There is the answer then, they have contaminated perfectly good oxalic acid to call it ApiBioxal, a product which is toxic to bees... and make lots of money by doing it.

I know, ridiculous isn't it! but hey at least its 'approved' by the VMD :rolleyes:

No idea what the glucose might do... burning/sublimating glucose in hives could be harmful, have they done any research?

https://youtu.be/cjUoxrQNXIM I don't think I'd like to be covered in hot burning sugar. The manufacturers of the varrox and sublimox etc., need to inform beekeepers on a cleaning regime.

https://youtu.be/cjUoxrQNXIM I don't think I'd like to be covered in hot burning sugar. The manufacturers of the varrox and sublimox etc., need to inform beekeepers on a cleaning regime.

Why is it the manufacturer's responsibility if the user doesn't use the recommended chemical? (pure oxalic acid)

The manufacturers of the varrox and sublimox etc., need to inform beekeepers on a cleaning regime.

They were designed to vaporize oxalic acid, not glucose, and were invented long before the toxic Api-bioxall scam was hatched up, so the makers of Api-B need to inform beekeepers on a cleaning regime, best not to use it at all in the pressurized ones... or they could blow up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back