Deformed Wings - Treatment - Part absconding to neighbour

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Discovered Deformed Wings in a colony that was not progressing as others were. Vaped and found a heavy mite fall. We cannot get MAQS here at present, so applied ApiGuard which resulted in a very severe fall. As usual the bees dislike the ApiG and spend time on the landing board … However, I noted some heading towards the stand partner hive. Tonight, went to slide in mite tray to test the adjacent hive and found a mass of bees underneath the mesh floor. Is it likely that a colony in part would move under an adjacent hive? Furthermore, the adjacent hive has a Queen Rearing Cupkit Frame in place for familiarisation. Is this kit now compromised from use in another hive if I need an alternative?

Context
: This Varroa fall is new to us … The colony received its Autumn treatment … and was further vaped in December. It was unusually vaped twice in May …Why? Because I used a GasVap in December and was not entirely happy and suspicious of its effectiveness … have now reverted to usual Varrox …

Discovered Deformed Wings in a colony that was not progressing as others were. Vaped and found a heavy mite fall. We cannot get MAQS here at present, so applied ApiGuard which resulted in a very severe fall. As usual the bees dislike the ApiG and spend time on the landing board … However, I noted some heading towards the stand partner hive. Tonight, went to slide in mite tray to test the adjacent hive and found a mass of bees underneath the mesh floor. Is it likely that a colony in part would move under an adjacent hive? Furthermore, the adjacent hive has a Queen Rearing Cupkit Frame in place for familiarisation. Is this kit now compromised from use in another hive if I need an alternative?

Context
: This Varroa fall is new to us … The colony received its Autumn treatment … and was further vaped in December. It was unusually vaped twice in May …Why? Because I used a GasVap in December and was not entirely happy and suspicious of its effectiveness … have now reverted to usual Varrox …
There was someone selling MAQS with a 2022 date on eBay last week.

Back