Vandals

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I went up the allotment yesterday to check and found my bees had been kicked over, All hive upside down and bees everywhere, The bees had propolised brood box, q/e, super, crownboard all together and it didn,t come apart, so put it back on stand and removed it to new location, now waiting to see if queen is OK in 3 days, crossed fingers

Sorry to hear that. Little &£)/;!"(£&. Mindless. Anyway, lucky everything was nicely gummed up! I'm sure they'll soon recover. All the best.

i had my hives knocked over while it were snowing, the girls were bad tempered which i could understand as the hive had split open, a week later someone shot the hive with a 12g, i lost the queen sadly.
I place my worse hives on any new sites to see what happens.

Rotten luck. :( Was it definitely vandals and not an animal?

Really bad luck. :(

interested to hear if it was vandals or livestock, got to be a thick vandal to risk kicking a hive over, hope they got stung for their troubles.

Our hives are out of the way with very few passing people, but we tie both down with rope to their stands, just incase a sheep gets in and gets excited, fingers crossed though we haven't needed the ropes as yet but alwys tie the hives down.

Sorry

Sorry to hear this these are not just Vandals they are real low life mindless criminals and I hope they got stung to hell:party

interested to hear if it was vandals or livestock, got to be a thick vandal to risk kicking a hive over, hope they got stung for their troubles.

Our hives are out of the way with very few passing people, but we tie both down with rope to their stands, just incase a sheep gets in and gets excited, fingers crossed though we haven't needed the ropes as yet but alwys tie the hives down.

My sheep are not at all excitable, as you can see ;)

Well Luminos, we have sheep hiding in the fields of Barley around of allotment, they haven't managed to get in this year since we improved the defences after some got in last year, however I'm sure they are planning something :)

..., a week later someone shot the hive with a 12g, i lost the queen sadly.
I place my worse hives on any new sites to see what happens.
Bee gun crime? sounds a bit like the wild west ... err wild east.

I had originally thought of cladding the hives with ally sheet to guard against woodpeckers ,,, but firearms?

is there something about the stacked boxes that tempts V$%^&* to knock them over? The hives at some apiaries look as though they might very easily fall over, and therefore might appeal to the mischievious. if the hives stands looked sturdy and hives looked solidly attached perhaps they would not even be tempted.

No animals apart from odd fox, The stands are buried in the ground I think they also went in the unlocked shed to get away from the bees

is there something about the stacked boxes that tempts V$%^&* to knock them over?

I guess its one of those things we learn as children.
Daddy stacks up the bricks.
Baby knocks them over.
Everyone giggles

Sorry about this will.

It’s a fear I and others on the forum have to live with and I will expect an incident in the future that’s why I have my few hives spread out and will over winter on three separate sites. It is the winter months that cause the most worry.

I think you did the right thing of having the stand buried into the ground and the bees propolised everything together may have saved the day but a ratchet a strap round the hive and stand can give you that bit extra security.

With a strap it may take more than one or even two attempts to push it over personally I don’t think they will want to stick around to try a 2nd never mind a 3rd like you say you think perhaps they took shelter in the shed and they may never want to try it again.

Sorry about this will.
... but a ratchet a strap round the hive and stand can give you that bit extra security.

With a strap it may take more than one or even two attempts to push it over personally I don’t think they will want to stick around to try a 2nd never mind a 3rd like you say you think perhaps they took shelter in the shed and they may never want to try it again.

Chain?

Last edited:
Hi there.

What is the world coming to?
I wouldn't call it bad luck. It is the fact that more and more kids(?) are running about with void between their ears.

Leave the hives or better one hive there and put a handle on the shed door. Use a lock from a front door but put it in the wrong way round. That way they can run into the shed but can't get out. Don't forget to leave two or three cans of dog food in the shed and a can opener. :smilielol5:

Maybe a IR-Camera would be good. You might get a nice mug shot.

Greets
Phil

a ratchet a strap round the hive and stand can give you that bit extra security.

i do similar, a heavy council size thick paving slab with strap going under the slab and over the crown board

The ratchect strap is fitted so the ratchet is on top of the crown with roof on top hiding the ratchet

they will not lift the roof as they don't know whats under there, and the hive/stand/paving slab is almost immovable

it also stop the ratchet freezing up

Phil280 said:
Don't forget to leave two or three cans of dog food in the shed and a can opener. :smilielol5:

Fantastic!!

Bad news, hope you have more luck at your new site.

The unfortunate truth is we have all probably been involved in some sort of mischief, whether it be scrumping apples, throwing fireworks or many other things.
Ultimately we realise our mischief was some poor person's grief.

They want to come and push a colony ive got at moment they follow you 200 yards no problem

Latest posts

Back