Use of apivar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alldigging

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
New treatment for varroa.
info on thorne site.

Needs to stay on for 6-10 weeks.
Can't be on over winter or whilst honey supers on.

When would you use it?

September the 21st :)

So 2nd November for taking them out at earliest - or 30th November depending on size of brood nest.

There is no counter-indication against feeding whilst using them, so that wouldn't be a problem.

"Reposition and scratch the strips if necessary
(see page 2)."

As shown by the results of a study conducted by the French Association
for the Development of Provincial Apiculture (ADAPI), repositioning of
the strips and scratching them during treatment can improve Apivar
efficacy. ADAPI compared the effects of an Apivar treatment with and
without the repositioning of strips; the Apivar strips were scratched
using the hive tool and repositioned in the cluster at mid-treatment.

I put in Amitraz strips on a colony that had 7 vapes and then only in desperation. So my answer would be only when all else fails but that’s a personal opinion. I follow a few commercial beekeepers in twitter and one was doing the rounds a few weeks ago taking out strips he’d put in last year!

Put in as soon as you take honey off. It's a fast job to take strips out so doesn't matter if it's cold. Have a pliers with you.

Leaving strips on for longer than recommended is a quick way to raise mite resistance

....some have been putting the strips in during autumn and removing the following spring for years.

As HM says been going on for years in eastern block with apparently no resistance, that was the advise I received on how to use the strips I purchased last autumn. Strangely the only thing changed is the treatment, Amitraz left in all winter instead of Api guard in August and I have the strongest colony's at this time of year that I have had for the last five years.

As HM says been going on for years in eastern block with apparently no resistance, that was the advise I received on how to use the strips I purchased last autumn. Strangely the only thing changed is the treatment, Amitraz left in all winter instead of Api guard in August and I have the strongest colony's at this time of year that I have had for the last five years.

Is resistance reported anywhere?

Not heard of any, it was a concern leaving them in but seems this is the recommended use from keepers that have been using amitraz for quite a few years.

Is resistance reported anywhere?

Yes, here in the States. The product has been abused, with some treating five times a year. What can one expect but resistance. Not widespread. Van Englesdorp says resistance to amitraz is slow because the chemical works via different avenues. I don't know.

Resistance is slow because of multiple targets (in contrast to Apistan which has one and in which resistance develops quickly).

Resistance to Amitraz in other pests (not Varroa) is well-documented. We know the target and we know how resistance develops.

Instructions clearly state 6-10 weeks depending upon whether its Apitraz or Apivar (-/+ brood) ... why choose not to follow these instructions?

PS ... and in response to last post from Michael ... perhaps resistance is little reported because it may be detrimental in the absence of selection. Once Amitraz stops working it's abandoned and resistance is then selected against. Exactly this sort of thing happens with Apistan. This is not a reason for complacency ... actually, it reinforces how important it might be to treat properly.

Last edited:

Resistance is slow because of multiple targets (in contrast to Apistan which has one and in which resistance develops quickly).

Resistance to Amitraz in other pests (not Varroa) is well-documented. We know the target and we know how resistance develops.

Instructions clearly state 6-10 weeks depending upon whether its Apitraz or Apivar (-/+ brood) ... why choose not to follow these instructions?

This is my concern - if it's very late in the year to be going taking it out, then chances are there will be beekeepers who'll leave it in as the easiest option. And that'll be there the problems will presumably start.

Food for thought on the resistance, as I posted first time I had used it and will remove them this year, I acted on the advise given at the time just shows how valuable this forum is on times.

Yes, here in the States. The product has been abused, with some treating five times a year. What can one expect but resistance. Not widespread. Van Englesdorp says resistance to amitraz is slow because the chemical works via different avenues. I don't know.

Thanks Mike. I had read there was but wasn’t sure.

Back