Urban dwellers 'should keep bees'

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good points added but this was the thinking behind it,
20,000 tons is able to be collected by say 200,000 hives each having 100kg each
there are move than that being moved by the yanks just for one crop so it is posible to do, where it should be or could be done here a differant matter, but just stick with the 200,000 hives for now that amount if spread over say 8 citys , london not included, that would require someone to find the homes for 50,000 per city thats an awfuly large number to be added, but if you spread it accross the whole of the uk and wales not scotland that is a number that could be distributed, we could be a net exporter of honey save the bee populations, cure varroa , you would have to ! but then make millions selling the cure to everyone else, sounds good to me all i have to do is make a start on those 200,000 hives, mmmmmmm?

One------two------three------four----

Need more than a part-time security man!!!!!

Regards, RAB

if this boom in interest, swings one way we will have a more informed public( a good thing for sure) but if it swings the other way as it did in the early 80s after the good life rave , we will have hundreds of unwanted bee hives producing random swarms weekly causing people to be come haters of all things flying , we will then have a massive back lash of hatred against us. i only speak of past times here, i can rember asking a friend of the family if i can keep a hive or two at his orchard and was slapped in the face for asking, and now i am urban my pressure is in creasing i know of several people how keep hives inn london that are unable to run more than 2 hives because there is no flowers where she lives in london, have a look in a city park there is no flowers anymore just trees, so where will all these new bees forage from because unless there is massive council planting of flowers there is no other group of people able to afford or are equiped to grow and plant 1,000 of flowers

Local authorities are now changing the way they maintain land. Many are seeding parks with wild flowers, leaving verges to naturalise and so-on. In towns gardens can provide a rich source for bees and many high profile gardeners are championing bee friendly gardening.

I don't think we should discourage people, i am new to beekeeping this year and i am sure i will make mistakes but everyone has to start somewhere. We are the most densely populated country in europe, so leaving beekeeping as a country pastime will only lead to decline.

We are also seeing a massive increase in interest in allotments, community groups are helping renovate old sites and develop new ones. Every little helps.

topographic these are very true and good points as you can see by my other postings elsewhere i can and do make a considerable amount of wax and honey from being a town centre, and as for the flowers avalible there are thousands to be had, but and this can be a very big like mine but. not all councils have these policys and some citys are very poor necture suppliers, as i said if you go to youtube and have a look at my video from the top of the new queen elizabeth hospital birmingham is very green to look at trees and bushs etc, but say somewhere else like hyde park for instance, i am not sure of is hectres in size but apart from the odd flower bed it is all grass and nothing else i would say in the region of 5 % flowers 95% trees and grass that is being extreamly generous 5% i have three parks in my local area i would say at least 12 hetres at least and in total one park only has 26 square metres of flowers all the rest are grass and trees, so where is the forage?
yes there are lots of gardens but most where i live are council or poorer people there is very little flowers apart from weeds and these are not as good as some thing planned and grown for forrage

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back