Upcoming weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick heads up to people who have hives in flood risk areas, there is a strong possibility of a depression moving in over this coming weekend with pretty large rainfall totals possible and some gusty winds, make sure you're prepared.

Ha, I never expected my weather discussion to snowball into this. I'll keep an eye on the weather ahead though, thanks for your kind comments. There are still uncertainties about where weather is heading for Feb. some saying it could be unseasonably warm, others thinking temperatures could fall. There are still signs that next week is going to be colder.

Bit like beekeeping then ? No concensus and different interpretations of any event !!

"Years ago when on board we would catch all the forecasts on the radio, check with the met office, get an isobar chart faxed to us and then made up our own minds"

we use foreca.com - check the location below us, the location above us and then look out of the window to see which we are closest to.

otherwise big tip with foreca - if bad weather is forecast in well advance then disappears only to reappear again few days before due it'll be much worse than forecast.

Hi all, I thought i'd update this thread with some information considering we are in for some more rather wild weather! In the long term the prognosis is not good for flood hit areas, if you look at the bottom peaks of this ensembles chart you'll see frequent heavy rain being progged by the models, however temperatures will remain seasonal yet more on the mild side.

picture.php

In the short term we have two potentially disruptive weather events incoming, the jet stream is whipping up some quite nasty depressions off the Atlantic. The first low pressure will push through tonight from the SW and will have some heavy rain and strong winds embedded in it, if you are in the SW then winds could reach 60mph, this should pass through on Wednesday.

picture.php

Thursday sees a low pressure system pushing across the south, initially it looked like it would stay south and hit France but expect Met Office to maybe review this and warn of further rain to the South of the country (could be heavy due to warm origin of system). Snow will be possible if it reaches the north 400m ASL.

Then we come to the weekend which sees another nasty Low descend on the country. High winds look likely again and plenty of rain!

picture.php

So bees look likely to be stuck inside for the next week or so as the Atlantic continues its onslaught, no sign of any cold weather in the reliable timeframe though.... flooding the real concern.

No respite for the Somerset levels then ... having seen the extent of the flooding on Countryfile on Sunday it is impossible not to feel sympathy for the thousands of people affected and for the farmers in particular.

The River Meon in our area (usually a typical chalk stream) has filled the valley bottom for weeks now, hundreds if not thousands of acres of flooded farmland.

There's a chalk stream in the middle of this lot somewhere !

No respite for the Somerset levels then ... having seen the extent of the flooding on Countryfile on Sunday it is impossible not to feel sympathy for the thousands of people affected and for the farmers in particular.

The River Meon in our area (usually a typical chalk stream) has filled the valley bottom for weeks now, hundreds if not thousands of acres of flooded farmland.

There's a chalk stream in the middle of this lot somewhere !

makes me so angry . if we spent 1/10th of the money we give away it would save millions in flood damage to industry and home owners.
insurance companies won't be paying out for long if this continues.
they do plan on spending £380 mil in 2015 on national flood defences

Thanks for the update Roola. I am promised some glimpses of sunshine today, but not sure I am going to be in luck looking as a solidly grey sky.

makes me so angry . if we spent 1/10th of the money we give away it would save millions in flood damage to industry and home owners.
insurance companies won't be paying out for long if this continues.
they do plan on spending £380 mil in 2015 on national flood defences

The Environment Agency spent £17.9M last year on Travel and Entertainment... up £4.2M on the prior year

and £219M in total on Capital Expenditure.. down £3.8M on the prior year

so you can see where their priorities lie....

http://tinyurl.com/no5nqbs

Pages 69 on

Having had a look at their Accounts - very briefly

Just had the news that the weather in Lesotho in this month is going to struggle to go past 28° centigrade and may drop to 14°C in the chilly nights - better pack some thermal err........... shorts!

Just had the news that the weather in Lesotho in this month is going to struggle to go past 28° centigrade and may drop to 14°C in the chilly nights - better pack some thermal err........... shorts!

Don't forget the bush socks though ... there's still a few snakes out there that they haven't eaten yet ... not to mention very large spiders ... me ? ENVIOUS ? What on earth would give you that idea > Grrrrrrrr... 28 degrees ..... :sunning:

If you end up in the Lesotho Highlands, it gets pretty cold at nights. A few thermal onsies would not go amiss:)

Im really impressed with the quality of your weather information. How do you get such good imput.

Don't know what people are complaining about. Up here in the north we are having a nice winter, fewer storms than normal warmer than normal. Possibly a bit more rain than we are used to and could do with being a bit colder.

SteveJ ;)

Don't know what people are complaining about. Up here in the north we are having a nice winter, fewer storms than normal warmer than normal. Possibly a bit more rain than we are used to and could do with being a bit colder.

SteveJ ;)

yep, the Jet is pulling them all down our way! :(

Thankyou for the kind words above, I'm a bit of a weather nerd (which drives my girlfriend mad) but i follow the model outputs of the met office/gfs/ecm every day. I used to do it more as I was excited about cold and snow prospects but now I have bees i' happier to be looking for the start of spring. This winter has been the most unsettled/wet/stormy I can remember, really interesting.

yep, the Jet is pulling them all down our way! :(

Thankyou for the kind words above, I'm a bit of a weather nerd (which drives my girlfriend mad) but i follow the model outputs of the met office/gfs/ecm every day. I used to do it more as I was excited about cold and snow prospects but now I have bees i' happier to be looking for the start of spring. This winter has been the most unsettled/wet/stormy I can remember, really interesting.

any links to the gfs/ecm pls

Latest posts

Back