Upcoming weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ahhhhhhh i ust want it dry, i hope Tom bick has his boat moored on a canal rather than the Colne or Brent asthey are running fast

Thank you for the flood report Geof, I was also thinking of Tom, i rekon he has the best kind of home if this rain keeps coming... definitely had enough of it now.

Is there much flooding in London, not seen much about it on the news, athough there was a bit about the Thames flooding in some areas, anything like the Somerset levels over there yet.

Kent isn't quite as bad as the Levels, but, up until now, the Nailbourne hasn't been getting the attention it deserves.
Normally, even in winter, the Nailbourne doesn't exist. But its not just flowing, it is flooding now. This photo is a road, not a river http://www.canterburytimes.co.uk/LATEST-Flood-storm-warnings/story-20544083-detail/story.html
The problem is "groundwater flooding" where the water table has risen to ground level and above - and, even without more rain (which is coming) the situation is going to last for a month or more.
http://www.folkestoneherald.co.uk/Concerns-sewage-pumped-river/story-20563567-detail/story.html
http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Sandbag...tory-20574776-detail/story.html#axzz2seIl72nD
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26082586

The river Stour ("Great Stour") that runs through Ashford and Canterbury has been marginal for the last month. It has flooded, receded and flooded again.
http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Torrent...tory-20572556-detail/story.html#axzz2seIl72nD
Getting more critical now as the Little Stour (and Nailbourne) is now dumping lots of extra water into the lower river...

And the BBC national news crews have arrived in Bridge, so, its for real ... !

On the news last night .... they think this winter has been the wettest in England since any formal records began --- 250 years !! Definitely the wettest in Scotland for 100 years ..

Didn't really need the Met office to tell us that did we ?

Just remember how miserable it was early 2013, and it still turned into a fairly decent season. :sunning:
(Just try not to remember 2012)

Just remember how miserable it was early 2013, and it still turned into a fairly decent season. :sunning:
(Just try not to remember 2012)

Things are looking like they may calm down after mid month but that could bring some cooler conditions... Praying beginning of march sees spring put in an appearance!

Things are looking like they may calm down after mid month but that could bring some cooler conditions... Praying beginning of march sees spring put in an appearance!

1976 Drought , I remember spraying my grandad's hives with water to keep them cool and coming back a few minutes later to see the hives covered in bees (and wasps) trying to drink the water

Last edited:
I actually prayed for my hives last night.
The water is about 20ft from them and rising.

The road has been closed for two days from both ends as it's flooded.
I managed to get through Saturday afternoon and am planning on moving them if levels rise any more.

I managed to get through Saturday afternoon and am planning on moving them if levels rise any more.

I hope your bees are ok Admin keep us posted Chris

It's nice to see people on the forum putting their faith in god

The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away

I hope that everyone's hives survived last nights storms

Be aware that there are concerns already for another storm coming through on Tuesday/Wednesday which will bring further rain and strong winds so levels will rise.

ahhhhhhh i just want it dry!!!!!, i hope Tom bick has his boat moored on a canal rather than the Colne or Brent asthey are running fast

Cheers Geoff and Pete (different post) actually on the Brent but its ok it only goes up and down a couple of feet and the bank is high so providing you have your ropes set right you can allow for that. Get it wrong and you wake up wondering why you are falling out of bed or if away from your boat as with the boat behind me you rely on someone to stop your pins pulling out and your boat moving down stream. Its the people on the Thames and not on safe moorings that I worry for and when it all settles down I bet plenty of boats would be left high and dry if not sunk.

Its the vertical distance that really matters!

But you also need to consider the practicalities of moving them if the waters rise further. The likely thing would be for vehicle access to become (even) more difficult.
I'd be thinking "how long can I still get them out" rather than "how long before they are standing in water" ...

Here's hoping the waters recede and you don't need to activate 'Plan B' ...

sorry DP ,solar phyiscist speak,

see theattach screan dump of the solar weather, on friday/Satruday at the same time as the next storm hits, we are alo being hit with a magnetic sola
storm from a M clas flare that has left a forward facing coronal hole on the sun

The is a close correlation with increased wind intensty of Cyclones with solar magentic storms/Coronal holes so if the Met O says it is going to be storm force 10 then with the magnetic pulse expect storm gale force 11

The tidal storm surge prediction are also way up ,so more damage along the coast,see surfing data site

http://magicseaweed.com/news/atlantic-strike-four-incoming/6057/

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=1.91,59.16,1024

sorry , the solar physics inspired forescast for the major storm 11th to 13th was correct, and the Met office still say the magnetic storms and oronal holes on the sun dont affect our weather

and the Met office still say the magnetic storms and oronal holes on the sun dont affect our weather

Nothing worse than an oronal hole! :eek:
Pretty grotty with us here today - the snow, hail and rain storms yesterday got the rivers up in no time at all. The river level must be at least up to 100 feet below my front doorstep. I do feel sorry for the two shady characters who built their luxuerry homes right next to the river bank - now filling bags with sand and not brown envelopes with cash to get past the planning restrictions.

sorry , the solar physics inspired forescast for the major storm 11th to 13th was correct, and the Met office still say the magnetic storms and oronal holes on the sun dont affect our weather

Well the Met Office speak without seeing the clear correlation between solar cycles and crop yields http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article5131.html

It's of course embarrassing if you blame everything on man made global warming and reality and your models don't coincide but that never stopped a fanatic before..

(BTW I do believe in global warming as where I write had an ice sheet 0.5miles deep some 20,000 years ago....)

Well the Met Office speak without seeing the clear correlation between solar cycles and crop yields http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article5131.html

It's of course embarrassing if you blame everything on man made global warming and reality and your models don't coincide but that never stopped a fanatic before..

(BTW I do believe in global warming as where I write had an ice sheet 0.5miles deep some 20,000 years ago....)

There's obviously an element within our world's climate change that is resultant from fossil fuel emissions, deforestation and changes in lifetyle - but it's equally obvious that thismay be providing the impetus for the climate changes we are witnessing.

When you see the exponential increase in ice cap reduction at the poles in the last 20 years and you extrapolate the results over the next 20 years it is truly frightening. But ... without being too depressing ... it may be a very difficult task to reverse the situation. Let's face it ... the political will is not there to start with - let alone the resources.

When you say 'political will' what do you mean? That they make laws to stop people living as we do. Their is no power or ruler strong enough to change the course we are on but people themselves.

When you say 'political will' what do you mean? That they make laws to stop people living as we do. Their is no power or ruler strong enough to change the course we are on but people themselves.

No ... that's not what I meant ... laws will never make people change their habits - you only have to look at how people still use mobile phones in cars ... (a very low level example of course !).

The only things that will ever change the way we live and treat our environment are education, providing incentives (on a global basis) for the developing countries who are chopping down their forests faster than they can be replaced and encouraging the high users of fossil fuels to reduce their emissions. Making recycling and re-use of materials seen as an essential by populations and encouraging the reduction in energy used (and my view is not that we should just reduce our use of fossil fuel based energy - more that we should, take responsibility INDIVIDUALLY to reduce our personal use of energy and resources that are not finite in our world)..

There is massive over use of plastics that cannot easily be recycled and food/product packaging in the developed world is reaching levels that leave the mind boggling.

There is no political will to go down this route as they are not vote winners in the countries which most need to change and the developed world governments are unwilling to subsidise the processes whereby change could take place.

We are on the same wavelength WWB ... but perhaps I did not make myself clear enough.

Hmmm - they should have had more consideration for future generations - reduced air travel, stopped burning coal in their power stations and stuck fe**ing wind turbines up all over the place Bloody Neanderthals - all their fault! :D

Back