Upcoming weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only things that will ever change the way we live and treat our environment are education, providing incentives (on a global basis)

The only thing that will change the way we live is the environment itself, nature and planet earth will sort us all out one way or another.

...There is no political will to go down this route as they are not vote winners in the countries which most need to change and the developed world governments are unwilling to subsidise the processes whereby change could take place...
That's the basic problem. I can't see any agreement emerging on anything effective. All the incentive is to do nothing while waiting for everybody else to act. "The tragedy of the commons" comes to mind.

There is a rational argument that the best use of money is on defence. In reducing the effects of flooding for instance. The most likely scenario being that no agreement on emissions will emerge, and disrupted weather trends are likely to continue. Curiously, investment in wind turbines, solar and tidal energy makes little sense from a climate change point of view. The changes in emissions that our small island could actually enact are unlikely to make much global difference. On the other hand, investment in low emission energy sources happens to make a lot of sense from a security of supply angle.

Climate change will soon happen with a nice big volcanic eruption spreading millions of tons of ash and carbon dioxide into our atmosphere and what a waste of time and effort all our wind turbines, bio fuels, low emission vehicles and solar power will be.
We have lived on this planet as long as a blink of an eye, catastrophic events have happened before and will happen again and there are no two doubts about it nature will rule supreme
Climate change is an on going natural occurrences of our planet which is constantly moving in and out of an ice age and sun spots/ flares also has a big influence
Scientists think they have discovered something that has always been there, the bible and other ancient writings all document climate change, a case of wasted funding and human resources trying to prove an all ready proven theory

ABSOLUTELY. What we are doing to the planet is minimal. There is a cycle from time immemorial, and always will be. We just need to manage the events as they occur. Stop going to war and use the money to help our own people.

The damage we do is killing innocent animals for monetary gain and all poachers should be strung up to die. Let the same animals attack them. I would shoot the poachers on sight!

The farmers have a real nightmare this year as, apparently, if a field is flooded for 3 weeks it is useless for the year, crop and grass wise.

There's obviously an element within our world's climate change that is resultant from fossil fuel emissions, deforestation and changes in lifetyle - but it's equally obvious that thismay be providing the impetus for the climate changes we are witnessing.

When you see the exponential increase in ice cap reduction at the poles in the last 20 years and you extrapolate the results over the next 20 years it is truly frightening. But ... without being too depressing ... it may be a very difficult task to reverse the situation. Let's face it ... the political will is not there to start with - let alone the resources.

all i would say in reply is that I biult four years ago for SWMBO a Garden following a garden's world book and BBC program, on how to make you garden survive climate change,

Do remember all the hype, succulents, evergreen plants to stop evparation , gravel to stop water evaporation, pottery pebbles to absorb and hold what water

The plants that would tolerate highre winter temeperatures died in the snow last year and the garden is currently flooded with the succulents a smelly mush

As i took solar physics at uni, (nearly fifty years ago), i am more worried about the sun currently going in a maunder phase and that lully us into a false view of lower Temperatures then temps jumpying upwards suddenly in 2050 after the Maunder phase ends

Climate change was one of the biggest scams ever, how many people fell for it and how many businesses flourished, very clever marketing, the latest government scam is tax on junk food, why don't the just tell the junk food chains to sling their hook or make healthier food cheaper, but gullible people will think this is a good idea when all that will happen is the government will get a fatter purse

Climate change is not a scam, it is science. Not just that but it is science that has been tested and contributed to by scientists all over the world. It is easy to say it is all rubbish without actually pointing out which of the many scientific studies that back up global warming are wrong. A good place to start to get some facts is by searching wikipedia for "Scientific opinion on climate change".

Some science is a scam.

There has always been climate change and likely always will be until the sun goes out.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't reduce our impact is on the environment. I'm glad I won't live in a world of 10bn people, but your grandchildren might.

That's not aimed at HM, just saying. The you is plural.

Some science is a scam.

I agree: the way statins are being pushed to the enth degree, abetted by the government and puppy dog NHS. WHEN THE JOB OF THE STATIN IS TO POISON THE LIVER to prevent it doing it's designed job .
I prefer to pickle my liver :)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Climate change is not a scam, it is science. Not just that but it is science that has been tested and contributed to by scientists all over the world. It is easy to say it is all rubbish without actually pointing out which of the many scientific studies that back up global warming are wrong. A good place to start to get some facts is by searching wikipedia for "Scientific opinion on climate change".

Tested ? Yes

And the - repeat THE- only way to test theories is against actual results. Classic scientific approach. If the two don't agree, the theories are wrong. Period . No debate.

And do you know what the results of the tests of forecasts from the models of climate change are vs the actual results.?

HINT: the models consistently give the wrong answer:

http://tinyurl.com/nv28ybw

Not occasionally, or sometimes but consistently far too high forecasts.

Now that tells me something (as a qualified physicist.. )

And when climate change scientists deny that the output of the sun and variations thereof have no impact - at that point I roll my eyes to the sun -without which we would be frozen near Absolute Zero and think : male cow excrement.

The best example I have seen of gross exaggeration and crap is Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia, who in 2000 said:

"within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event".

"Children just aren't going to know what snow is," he said
."

http://tinyurl.com/yz8urac

Strangely enough, he's gone very quiet on the issue. (See 2012 winter and 2011 and 2010 etc..)

Anyone who tells you the "science is settled" is either ignorant or a liar.. because it is not. Demonstrably.

Yes the world is warming and has been for at least 20,000 years. The current climate change models do not explain it - so any explanation based on them is unfounded and unproven.

Sorry for the rant. I hate lies and obvious falsehoods.

So might as well cancel my cactus plant order for the spring then and try to re-home my pineapple plant! :D

Probably be better off with some watercress cuttings from a bag of Tesco watercress !! It loves rainwater ... convert the pig sty to a watercress farm to augment your 'retirement' income !!

I expect we will be planting cold resistant plants in five years' time...

There has always been climate change and likely always will be until the sun goes out.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't reduce our impact is on the environment. .

This. :iagree:

Counting carbon footprint, scare storries about no more snow and ridiculous computer climate models might all very well be a scam, but if we dont do everything within our power to preserve habitats, ecosystems and biodiversity, then the world will be a poorer place for our decendants.

Sometimes I feel sorry for scientists. They have to work hard for a long time to get enough data to be statistically significant and then get that data into a peer reviewed journal. Once in the journal they have to weather the storm of other scientists trying to find anything wrong with what they have submitted for all to see. That has happened to study after study which added up slowly over the years until the vast majority of scientists from around the world are convinced by the evidence that humans are causing our climate to change.

On the other hand all climate change deniers have to do is say they don't believe it or point to the odd graph somewhere on the internet to back up their claims...

Oh and global warming doesn't necessarily mean everywhere will get warmer. The global climate is a complicated thing with various mechanisms for making places warmer or cooler.

This. :iagree:

Counting carbon footprint, scare storries about no more snow and ridiculous computer climate models might all very well be a scam, but if we dont do everything within our power to preserve habitats, ecosystems and biodiversity, then the world will be a poorer place for our decendants.

Totally agree ...unfortunately, our descendants are largely being brought up to expect everything to be packaged to extinction, used only until it loses its shine to then be 'thrown away' whereby it gets dumped in landfill most of the time ... Wild spaces are only for riding roughshod over in 4 wheel drive vehicles or trail bikes and the slightest sign of any 'creepie crawlie' infestations are blasted with 'treatments' to eliminate them. Living environments are sanitised to the point where we are no longer exposed to good bacteria that will protect us from the less good bacteria and food sold in the shops is only that which is perfect in shape and blemish free - whilst the rest gets disposed of. Drugs are employed at the first sign of illness or infection before nature has the chance to intervene. We now label those children who would previously been called naughty as having 'Attention Deficit Disorder' and treat them as 'special needs cases' to be handled with care - often at the expense of their more well behaved peers, aiding the growth of deliquency rather than eradicating it. Children arrive at school at 4 yrs old the centre of their own universe, with no concepte of social dialogue, sharing or concern for others and discipline is almost frowned upon and antisocial behaviour is seen as a failure of 'authority' and not the 'individual'. Exercise is no longer walking, naturally, to school, the shops or rdiing a bike to work, some gardening or a walk with the dog.. it's something confined to a 'gym' session after which we retire exhausted to slump in front of a TV or computer screen.

Unless something changes we are doomed ... doomed I say !!

OK ... rant over - I know I'm a grumpy old man :sorry:

Last edited:

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't reduce our impact is on the environment. I'm glad I won't live in a world of 10bn people, but your grandchildren might.

That's not aimed at HM, just saying. The you is plural.

What have you done to reduce your impact psafloyd.

What have you done to reduce your impact psafloyd.

I don't accept Supermarket carrier bags, I grow as much of my own (often misshapen) food as I can, I buy locally reared meat from a farm that rears its own, I switch lights off when they are not in use and conserve energy generally. I have to drive to work as there's no real alternative but I combine car journeys to make the most of travel. I repair and re-use almost to the stage of a fetish (my family think I'm pikey in the extreme) and I would rather recycle something than dump it. It's not a lot and I hope to do more in the future.....

Most of all ... I preach to my children (and others) and will to my current grandchild and hopefully others, in due course, the Gospel of living a different life ... and if just some of it rubs off then I will be grateful. I'm a child of the 60's and I've done my fair share of environmental damage - but I eventually saw the light and whilst it's late in the day (for me) I do what I can and encourage others.

Latest posts

Back