unwanted equipment needed free or cheap

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louisboy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
hi need cheap / free equipment needed even if broken i realy need hive parts please in guildford alder shot area many thanks louisboy bee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smillie

might be worth you looking at the ply hives they are cheap. if you are any good at diy you can then use them as a plan to make others. I showed a friend one who was on a tight budget, he has managed to make his hives from scrap clean wood he had around the place. Apart from a few minor tweeks they are spot on - I was chuffed he even gave me one as a thankyou.

Think the basic national with 2 supers was about £50 but that was this time last year.

Mine that was going to be a bait hive, but got used in emergency seems to be weathering ok at the moment

If I may make a suggestion?

Specify what you are after? Nat? or??

PH

milkermle i tried making my own hive but it wasnt even fit for a bait hive lol and poly hive i am looking for suppers/brood boxes

Supers.brood boxes - but WBC or National or Langstroth - each size is different and it does matter...I mix WBC & Nat. and curse for weeks!

He has a national.

Louisboy, I suggest you save your money for joining your local association. You may also find people through that who have spare equipment, but you definitely need to walk before you start running.

:iagree:

Louisboy, your enthusiasm does you much credit as a new beekeeper. For optimal outcomes, though, building your knowledge base about the craft of beekeeping through joining your local association is a crucial next step.

Personally, I discourage and decline to support new beekeepers in my area who will not attend courses to learn about bee health and husbandry.

There is a selfish side to this - my bees could be compromised by interaction with diseased stock in my vicinity and ill-tempered bees in an urban environment are a no-no.

I wish you every success in 2012, with the following wind of some absorbing study of bees and beekeeping!

:iagree:

Louisboy, your enthusiasm does you much credit as a new beekeeper. For optimal outcomes, though, building your knowledge base about the craft of beekeeping through joining your local association is a crucial next step.

Personally, I discourage and decline to support new beekeepers in my area who will not attend courses to learn about bee health and husbandry.

There is a selfish side to this - my bees could be compromised by interaction with diseased stock in my vicinity and ill-tempered bees in an urban environment are a no-no.

I wish you every success in 2012, with the following wind of some absorbing study of bees and beekeeping!

:rant:

There are many out there who really do not want to join local associations or have been to one and have been put off by the " you have to do one of our courses before any one in this association will speak to you etc" brigade!

Would it not be better to mentor them...................

I know of one very competent and successful beekeeperer who is totally "unclubable" went to one local association meeting ( in Surrey) has never ever attended a single "Lecture", keeps her bees in Top Bar Hives and very much keeps her own council.... total opposite to me!
:chillpill:
She still sprinkles icing sugar but now has OMF and has signed up with FERA and before all the Lords of the Bees get upity .... her bees are inspected and in an excellent state of health!
:hurray:

I agree about the training angle, louisboy, judging by your posts to date you need to get some training.

Now this doesn't necessarily have to be through your local association (Guildford judging by your profile). If you want to PM me I can point you towards a local apiary (in Surrey) where they have excellent training on a number of different hive types.

Now would be a good time to sign up (assuming not full) for a course (or two).

Bobster

I agree about the training angle, louisboy, judging by your posts to date you need to get some training.

Now this doesn't necessarily have to be through your local association (Guildford judging by your profile). If you want to PM me I can point you towards a local apiary (in Surrey) where they have excellent training on a number of different hive types.

Now would be a good time to sign up (assuming not full) for a course (or two).

Bobster

Way to go.......... seems you may have a Mentor!!

( and TBH hives are easy to DIY !... food for thought?)

Hi Louisboy

I well remember the difficulty in getting kit at your age. I found that local association (Salisbury at the time for me) had many who ultimately wanted to encourage me and give me kit (and the school). They also acted as good mentors to me and other members of my family. The kit was often good quality, allbeit homemade or old but was fine for those early splits you want to do. Once I was known locally then I found the kit easy to obtain and once the honey money starts coming in then it is much easier.....especially in the cedar seconds sales we have now (they are great value so save up for next year). I would urge you to invest any money now in joining the assiciation and get you face known, do a course and you will learn loads, get a mentor and probably free kit to boot.

There are many out there who really do not want to join local associations or have been to one and have been put off by the " you have to do one of our courses before any one in this association will speak to you etc" brigade!

Not really no.

Some associations have been under a lot of pressure with new beeks, so practically have to limit membership, and its only fair they choose those who have been on one of their winter "basics" courses first. I believe that pressure is somewhat less now and it may be easier to join some. As for "not wanting to speak to you", my association were/are extremely welcoming, friendly, helpful etc. To the people they couldnt allow onto their beginners hands-on course when I joined, they offered local apiaries/mentors and other local associations to try.

A local association is better than a mentor simply because you have lots of people to bounce ideas off, people at your level to compare notes with, you can learn lots from handling their hives/bees etc etc.

A mentor AND local association is the best option, if you need a mentor. If I were a mentor I would insist my mentee joined a local association and course - I am there to help/advise, not run their hives for them.

Last edited:

Another good idea - however joining an association normally means automatic BBKA membership and insurance, and you are supporting an organisation which hopefully progresses beekeeping in your area.

Try Fleet bee keepers Ass. They had a good amount of new and old people in it and were a great help to me when I was starting out. I am sure they will do all they can to help you
All the best
E

I know of one very competent and successful beekeeperer who is totally "unclubable" went to one local association meeting ( in Surrey) has never ever attended a single "Lecture", keeps her bees in Top Bar Hives and very much keeps her own council.... total opposite to me!
:chillpill:
She still sprinkles icing sugar but now has OMF and has signed up with FERA and before all the Lords of the Bees get upity .... her bees are inspected and in an excellent state of health!
:hurray:

icanhopit,

Delighted to hear your view, but here's another anecdote:

One sunny spring day in 2009, I was introduced to my "Mentor", after attending a couple of weekend introductory beekeeping courses. After a very pleasant couple of hours drinking tea and banging frames together for him, I went off home - and never heard from him again in his capacity as "Mentor".

He is a cracking individual and a great beekeeper (was named "Beekeeper of the Year" at a major Show this year) and I raised £301 towards his new community apiary project last autumn.

But I would have not have passed "Go", if my beekeeping education had to rely on his mentoring!

ps I rarely attend my local association meetings, but through them I know whom to talk to about different aspects of beekeeping when I haven't got a clue. And yes, that means it's quite an extensive contact list :)

He has a national.

Louisboy, I suggest you save your money for joining your local association. You may also find people through that who have spare equipment, but you definitely need to walk before you start running.

louisboy ..... Lesson one.

Ask three beekeeperers the same question and you will get six different answers!

none will be wrong, but some will be less wrong than others!
not worthy

none will be wrong,

Simply cloud cuckoo land if you believe that. There is plenty of evidence.

And thats exactly why he should be joining an association or local apiary, so he gets a range of ideas/advice and can then work out what is best for him. AND access to mentors should he want/need one.

For example, if he were to be asking me for cheap/free national hive, I would agree he needs it, but he needs the spare kit for swarm control this season, not for expanding to 2 hives which is what he is intending to do.

There are several Langstroth hives on e bay around £50 from a local member (to me) who is having to give up due to poor health. He also has a few national bits (not advertised). He is planning a big clear out 30 - 40 hives this spring, starting now ish.
I got my first hive and colony from him last spring and he was very helpful on the phone and e mail and the bees have been very productive.
OK its too far away and maybe too expensive but mabe worth an e mail if you have an e bay account or PM me and I could give you his phone number as advertised in out associations newsletter.
Cheers and good luck
Pete D

Back