Uniting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its.only.money

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I want to unite a Q- colony with a strong Q+ nuc. The Q- hive has 2xsupers on that have been recently extracted.

Was planning doing a newspaper unite. Would appreciate suggestions on how, which way round to order the boxes etc.

Many thanks

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I'm making the assumtion that the Q- colony is staying at the same location, if both supers are full of bees, just put a newspaper on top, queen excluder and then the nuc in a dummied down brood box, let them break through but be in no hurry to consolidate the two boxes.
If there is little bee traffic in the supers, remove at least one until after the unite.

Thanks, JBM! Yes, Q- in same location. Sorry, should have made that clear.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I have done a double one before. Q-. paper. Q+. QE Paper. Supers from Q-
E

I had a go at my first reuniting a few days ago. Had had a few swarms, main and casts over a few days, all settled down, letting existing and new hives have a few undisturbed days, then noticed another large cast ( size 2/3 rugby ball) with no real idea which of the 2 main hives it came from. So I decided to try a reunite, time was against me as I needed to leave for a few days work in 48 hours. So I just placed 2 layers of brown craft paper ( borrowed from the wife) straight over the brood frames of a split I made middle of March. I then added a super, shook in the cast swarm, filled super with frame, closed up. Decided to check in 40 hours. Surprised when I opened, Super empty all bees down in brood box, paper chewed to bits. Main brood pretty well filled frames, so added QE, top super and left them, next check in 10 days when home.

Or of course you can squirt a small amount of air freshener over each box and put them together in what order you want. Job done! The only time I use paper now is when I put an agressive colony with a calm one.
E

Latest posts

Back