Queen - next steps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they got it from the National Bee Unit website they linked at the end of their paragraph ?

I'm not saying its right or wrong, only that you could expect mite drop to be higher during treatment than before treatment.

K ;)

I think they got it from the National Bee Unit website they linked at the end of their paragraph ?
they did - but the 'calculator' and the means it was formulated was very flawed so not really worth the waste of time reading it.

Thanks and understood. I have read your valued opinion of the drop count on here before and that is why I didn't bother with a pre-treatment count. During treatment I have an interest in seeing how many are dropping and hopefully a downward trend towards the end of the treatment.
My last defence in this is from page 146 of the Haynes manual which mentions specific ( I know) counts during the months of May-Sept. Again, pre-treatment.
I have no further evidence m'lud. I rest my case.
K ;)

Last year, following treatment, my mite drop numbers were *way* higher! Adding a zero isn't anywhere near enough.
Multiple vapes later they all survived winter.
Yes, I do check after the first vape but don't count any more. My reaction varies from, "Oh...OK to Good Grief!"

Introduced a Red Buckfast off Lawrence eight days ago. Just inspected today and she is in there established.
Didn’t see any eggs, but she would’ve only been liberated from the cage seven days ago. So not a problem?
I was equipped and ready to clip the Queen however decided to leave her in tact.
Question is; should I leave the Queen unclipped or is there a chance of swarming in August? (There were no QC’s)

I fed 2/1 sugar/water.

Check for eggs next Thursday.

Introduced a Red Buckfast off Lawrence eight days ago. Just inspected today and she is in there established.
Didn’t see any eggs, but she would’ve only been liberated from the cage seven days ago. So not a problem?
I was equipped and ready to clip the Queen however decided to leave her in tact.
Question is; should I leave the Queen unclipped or is there a chance of swarming in August? (There were no QC’s)

I fed 2/1 sugar/water.

Check for eggs next Thursday.
Feed 1 -1 to stimulate her to into lay but well done that she is running around still

Latest posts

Back